CME impact? (KP 4)

Sam Warfel

It looks like we had a CME impact. There is a sharp and pretty large jump in Solar Wind speed at about 1:38 UTC, accompanied by spikes in density and BT, and BZ has dropped down to -7 and stayed below -5 for a while, helping us reaching KP4. 

This looks very much like a CME due to the sudden jump in solar wind speed (a CIR would not have this), but I didn’t think a CMEs were expected. What flare (or filament eruption) caused this? Was a minor CME expected, or is this a surprise?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

It doesn’t look like a CME happened because I checked the space weather live twitter and it didn’t mention a CME. But I don’t know. 

It was pretty slight compared to the big ones we all get excited about, so the program that scans the data to detect CMEs (that makes the alerts) might have just not caught it. 

Looks indeed a CME impact signature. 

2 uren geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

It doesn’t look like a CME happened because I checked the space weather live twitter and it didn’t mention a CME. But I don’t know. 

our detections don’t include small jumps, a few triggers and thresholds need to be reached before we send an impact alert. This is to make sure that when data is going up and down there wouldn’t be false positives. For example DSCVR often has these moments where the speed or IMF goes up and down and that could give a false positive. So the thresholds for alerts is set a bit high to prevent false alerts.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Happy new year, everyone.

I thought the same :)  I was unsure at first, because during Christmas and before new year i didnt keep track with our dwarf star.

Happy New Year!

The sun’s a dwarf? I thought it was bigger than that, at least a bit