2916 spot looks to be worth watching already

Christopher S.

9 minutes ago, Flareguy18 said:

I am also pretty new when it comes to trying to classify sunspots, but it does seem like a delta spot is beginning to emerge in its trailer region. Very small right now, but seeing negative polarity spots appearing next to the darker positive spots within the penumbra. It's really grown today!

2916 Delta spot 12252021.png

Good, I thought that AR was tending to decay more than develop

1 minute ago, Orneno said:

Good, I thought that AR was tending to decay more than develop

At one point (a day or so ago), I think there was some slight decay noted, but it has definitely bounced back. 2918 has also exhibited some growth too, but it's not as complex as 2916.

• Like 1

• Vancanneyt Sander changed the title to If I see it correctly it appears that 2916 has a delta
9 minuten geleden, Space pro zei:

So it should be Delta right?

2918 beta-gamma-delta with two delta spots. I've taken a closer look on my desktop and marked the two delta's:

2918.png

In 2916 it's only a pore (barely visible) that if it grows to a sunspot it can be delta, but the region is still only beta-gamma:

2916.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

2918 beta-gamma-delta with two delta spots. I've taken a closer look on my desktop and marked the two delta's:

2918.png

In 2916 it's only a pore (barely visible) that if it grows to a sunspot it can be delta, but the region is still only beta-gamma:

2916.png

And the ones just below it are just so close to the penumbra of the bigger one

And why is it showing up as just beta on the app

12 minuten geleden, farm24 zei:

And the ones just below it are just so close to the penumbra of the bigger one

And why is it showing up as just beta on the app

Which region are you referring to?

The app take silver the official magnetic classification of the regions during the observation hours of SWPC once per day, because sunspot regions evolve, the magnetic classification can change. It’s not continually updated! That’s why we always analyse solar imagery once they get interesting to make our own magnetic classification.

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Which region are you referring to?

The app take silver the official magnetic classification of the regions during the observation hours of SWPC once per day, because sunspot regions evolve, the magnetic classification can change. It’s not continually updated! That’s why we always analyse solar imagery once they get interesting to make our own magnetic classification.

I was referencing 2016 and ah

Also I can see little delta spots where you highlighted so maybe a beta-gamma-delta

33 minuten geleden, farm24 zei:

I was referencing 2016 and ah

Also I can see little delta spots where you highlighted so maybe a beta-gamma-delta

Classification is easy if you know what to look for. That’s why I highlighted it on the images. I’ll do that frequently when regions get interesting. 
it’s actually more like beta-delta, not beta-gamma-delta because it’s still easy to draw a line between the two polarities making it not gamma.

Just now, Bedreamon said:

Apparently, 2916 is now classified as Beta-Gamma-Delta. Although, there's been barely any flares from it, with the last one being just a C1.4.

But now it increases out chance for an x-class or a proton storm

15 minuten geleden, Bedreamon zei:

Apparently, 2916 is now classified as Beta-Gamma-Delta. Although, there's been barely any flares from it, with the last one being just a C1.4.

See, I was right 😁, except the gamma 😜. A beta-gamma-delta doesn’t mean it will constantly have solar flares! I remember several beta-gamma-delta regions that where just quiet even though they had a strong delta. Much will depend if the delta structure gets stronger, if that’s the case it sure will flare or build up energy for a bigger solar flare. We’ll see how it evolves further.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

See, I was right 😁, except the gamma 😜. A beta-gamma-delta doesn’t mean it will constantly have solar flares! I remember several beta-gamma-delta regions that where just quiet even though they had a strong delta. Much will depend if the delta structure gets stronger, if that’s the case it sure will flare or build up energy for a bigger solar flare. We’ll see how it evolves further.

It’s continued to grow, and kept the beta gamma delta!

Getting to be a pretty serious sunspot, one of the better ones of this cycle afik. 
It has the capability of X-class flares, let’s hope it does have one while it’s Earth-facing!

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

Getting to be a pretty serious sunspot, one of the better ones of this cycle afik. 
It has the capability of X-class flares, let’s hope it does have one while it’s Earth-facing!

While it has grown, its overall output of flares and associated energies has waned. This is interesting for a few reasons. Let's keep an eye on it via SDO.

2 uren geleden, Orneno zei:

Hold your horses, no X-class is going to happen! If you look at latest imagery there are zero delta spots, thus the region is now only beta-gamma. Yes it has grown but in the penumbral zones you don’t see spots of the opposite polarity so no magic for significant solar flares.

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Hold your horses, no X-class is going to happen! If you look at latest imagery there are zero delta spots, thus the region is now only beta-gamma. Yes it has grown but in the penumbral zones you don’t see spots of the opposite polarity so no magic for significant solar flares.

Sad. Let’s hope this goes like the last time you discouraged the sun and it proved you wrong!

I will be mad if it develops and pops off an X right at the limb. It seems to be the SC25 curse 😂

• Haha 1