2916 spot looks to be worth watching already

Christopher S.

It's coming around in the lower hemisphere. I was trying to analyze what the other spots are doing, but then I noticed this thing bursting with flares and seems to be rapidly growing... or decaying. Hard to tell at time of writing. UPDATE: It's decaying. Meanwhile, 2917 is growing. Watch that instead. Well 2916 decided it wasn't done being relevant, so we're back to it

2916_HMIBC.jpg

Edited by Christopher S.
Manually updating image
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

It's coming around in the lower hemisphere. I was trying to analyze what the other spots are doing, but then I noticed this thing bursting with flares and seems to be rapidly growing... or decaying. Hard to tell at time of writing.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/sunspot-regions.html#2916

2916_HMIBC.jpg

I believe the image there will update over time, as it's an image link from SWL

I was just about to post something related to 2916! The main part appears to be a simple Alpha spot, but there are other plages or small spots nearby, so there may be more to it than that. 

Plus, it’s already given us at least two M-flares, right?

Hopefully the emergence of this spot will make up for losing 2907-08-09. 

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

I was just about to post something related to 2916! The main part appears to be a simple Alpha spot, but there are other plages or small spots nearby, so there may be more to it than that. 

Plus, it’s already given us at least two M-flares, right?

Hopefully the emergence of this spot will make up for losing 2907-08-09. 

To me it looks like a beta delta

The magnetic configuration is curious.  It looks like 2 simple ARs, the trailing AR a mirror image of the leading AR - the trailing AR with reverse magnetic orientation for sunspots in the southern hemisphere.  No wonder it has been unstable and somewhat feisty.  It looks like a bowtie, a butterfly or a TIE fighter.

5 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Interesting 

Well, somewhat. It's interesting to learn from, watching the past 48 hours. I chose that wavelength due to the number of filament eruptions and how they show enhanced activity at a distance quite well. I also think it is useful for determining(honestly, just interpreting) real-time behavior on the surface of the sun.

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

It's indeed a bit early still as there are not yet any spots in that particular trailing section but it's interesting.

2916.jpg

Based on what I'm seeing, it's decayed a bit since the activity we saw. At least it looked spectacular and I was able to observe behavior I hadn't really seen before.

46 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

Is Active Region Cross-Talk a thing?  in 171 it appears that 2916 and 2917 have loops mingling together, but seemingly disconnected.

I think Inter-AR Cross-Talk is a thing.  Magnetic loops between ARs close to each other are more common, but magnetic loops between more distant ARs can occur as well.  A good question is whether the brightening/energizing of these loops can precipitate or stimulate the occurrence of flares.

• Thanks 1

14 minuten geleden, Drax Spacex zei:

I think Inter-AR Cross-Talk is a thing.  Magnetic loops between ARs close to each other are more common, but magnetic loops between more distant ARs can occur as well.  A good question is whether the brightening/energizing of these loops can precipitate or stimulate the occurrence of flares.

As far as I know solar flares originate closer to the surface. The bigger interconnecting loops doesn’t trigger flares, but can break during a solar flare beneath it as the ejecta breaks through the upper magnetic field lines. After the solar flare there is magnetic reconnection that brings it back together. That’s why a delta spot is important, get two spots of opposite polarity close to each other and you’ll get fireworks, get them further apart and there’s nothing happening. 

B6B5F0C6-F60E-4EF3-9F9C-AE7D3CD2887A.jpeg

• Thanks 2

19 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

I may be wrong, but 2918 looks interesting now...

Still beta, but something interesting is growing in the central part of the region where the two polarities divide.

2916 is more interesting with a possible delta just in the first part of the trailing spots.

• Like 1

I am also pretty new when it comes to trying to classify sunspots, but it does seem like a delta spot is beginning to emerge in its trailer region. Very small right now, but seeing negative polarity spots appearing next to the darker positive spots within the penumbra. It's really grown today!

2916 Delta spot 12252021.png