Long Duration C-Class Flaring

MinYoongi

21 hours ago, LunarLights58 said:

Let's hope this region decides to flare up again and send a better CME.

Yeah, the Sun could fire some fast X-class CME´s at us, so I here in Austria also could also potentially see some extra Christmas lights😂

But well that isn´t going to happen i think...

54 minutes ago, Orneno said:

which one?

19:00Z slightly southwest of center-disk. Just waiting on more coronagraph imagery now.

Update:

It looks like there wasn't much luck with this one. Not too surprising the C4.9 flare produced a slow CME.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

19:00Z slightly southwest of center-disk. Just waiting on more coronagraph imagery now.

Update:

It looks like there wasn't much luck with this one. Not too surprising the C4.9 flare produced a slow CME.

yeah, the C-classes are not really doing much significant in the way of CMEs, too small and not enough long-duration ones

12 hours ago, Orneno said:

yeah, the C-classes are not really doing much significant in the way of CMEs, too small and not enough long-duration ones

Well, The Sun has been in sustained C-Class activity for 12+ hours (so far). For me this is the longest I've seen such activity sustained. Have you seen a period of prolonged C-Class activity? 

sustained.thumb.jpg.843cce9032035c08ef6af0b90f975870.jpg

3 uren geleden, Archmonoth zei:

Well, The Sun has been in sustained C-Class activity for 12+ hours (so far). For me this is the longest I've seen such activity sustained. Have you seen a period of prolonged C-Class activity? 

sustained.thumb.jpg.843cce9032035c08ef6af0b90f975870.jpg

I’ve seen worse than that 😜even days of continuous C-class with a background flux above C. You need to get used to these periods as we move towards solar max 😉 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I’ve seen worse than that 😜even days of continuous C-class with a background flux above C. You need to get used to these periods as we move towards solar max 😉 

We eagerly await this. 

It’s not ever at M-class for extended periods during Solar maximum is it, @Vancanneyt Sander?

Edited by Orneno

5 uren geleden, Kaimbridge zei:

I think I remember a few days in the last cycle, the daily background flux average was in the low M range!

Since 1996 we've had 4 days with a background X-ray flux of above M1 but all in SC23, not SC24.

Take a look at the archive of April 3rd 2001, the sunspot number was 228 where we had some very big regions on the solar disk and had an X1 solar flare. The background flux was M2! Other dates are December 29th 2001, 23rd November 2001 and 9th November 2000.

PS.: April 2nd 2001 was an "epic" day with a X20+!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Since 1996 we've had 4 days with a background X-ray flux of above M1 but all in SC23, not SC24.

Take a look at the archive of April 3rd 2001, the sunspot number was 228 where we had some very big regions on the solar disk and had an X1 solar flare. The background flux was M2! Other dates are December 29th 2001, 23rd November 2001 and 9th November 2000.

PS.: April 2nd 2001 was an "epic" day with a X20+!

That’s amazing! Wouldn’t it be nice if SC25 was like that!

On 12/20/2021 at 6:20 PM, Jesterface23 said:

Just going out on a limb with what is available I came to around 4.5 days of travel time for todays CME. Almost twice the time that we would want at maximum.

It appears that you were right - still waiting for it to arrive (assuming it's still on its way).