Long Duration C-Class Flaring

MinYoongi

Hellooooo and Happy Almost-Christmas to all of you 🙂  

There is a nice Long-Duration C-class Flare happening right now as I write this.

I checked SUVI and determined 2909 to be the source ^-^ ! 

It looks spectacular! (Pic attached)

This event will most likely drive a CME, I just dont know if it's in a geoeffective position/likely to be earthbound.

48d3aa64eec0688c4e9f8e5cf6bd97b9.png

2 hours ago, Kaimbridge said:

Solar activity is considered “moderate” when flaring reaches M1.0 and “high” when flares reach M5.0 and above.

Logical, if I remember correctly the definition of M is "moderate" (C is "minor").   I thought it would have to be X to be "strong" or something like that though...

A and B are solar flares would be considered 'quiet' or 'little activity'. C class solar flares are 'minor' or 'minor activity'. M class solar flares are 'Strong' or 'Moderate activity'. X class solar flare are 'Major' or 'Strong activity'. At least that is what a website said but who knows if that is right. 

9 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

A and B are solar flares would be considered 'quiet' or 'little activity'. C class solar flares are 'minor' or 'minor activity'. M class solar flares are 'Strong' or 'Moderate activity'. X class solar flare are 'Major' or 'Strong activity'. At least that is what a website said but who knows if that is right. 

huh, both M and X are called "strong" by different people 😂

10 hours ago, Sirvegs said:

To my untrained eye It looks like the C4.49 flare from AR 2909 could have had an associated CME. Its not much, but its something. We'll have to wait on LASCO to confirm. 

NOAA didnt mention it in their forecast, sadly.

But they mentioned the Flare from 1 Hour ago! :) 

"

Further coronagraph imagery is needed to determine if an associated CME
with an Earth-directed component was produced."

16 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

We're still awaiting LASCO imagery but we can say there was a moderate coronal dimming so a CME is likely (but don't expect a major storm as it was just a minor M-flare).

Oh, are M-Class flares not a usual driver for "bigger" storms too? It was pretty short lived tho.. well, anyways, lets hope Lasco Backfills quickly! 
really annoying that Stereo is dead since the 17th.

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Oh, are M-Class flares not a usual driver for "bigger" storms too?

Well not usually. But on Nov 3/4th 2021 we had some serious shit come in from two M class solar flares. (Sorry for the swearing)

Man that was the highest KP value I've seen so far. 

Edited by Solarflaretracker200

56 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Oh, are M-Class flares not a usual driver for "bigger" storms too? It was pretty short lived tho.. well, anyways, lets hope Lasco Backfills quickly! 

No, it depends a lot on the duration of the solar flare and the CME distribution plus you don’t know upfront what direction the IMF will take. Also not all M-flares have an associated CME! For example short lived Impulsive M-class flares (even >M5)  can happen without CME. Also, a very very long duration C7 flare can produce a bigger storm then a short lived tiny CME of an M5. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No, it depends a lot on the duration of the solar flare and the CME distribution plus you don’t know upfront what direction the IMF will take. Also not all M-flares have an associated CME! For example short lived Impulsive M-class flares (even >M5)  can happen without CME. Also, a very very long duration C7 flare can produce a bigger storm then a short lived tiny CME of an M5. 

Ah, thanks! 

Yeah, as far as i can see the Flare "only" lasted for like 20-30 mins or something, I dont really know if thats considered long,short or mid :D 

4 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Stereo COR2 beacon images and LASCO images are now available showing a CME corresponding to the 2021-12-20/11:36 M1 flare.  The direction is mostly south and east, but the lobe itself is wide enough that we should get a partial hit (more than a glancing blow).

42 minuten geleden, Drax Spacex zei:

Stereo COR2 beacon images and LASCO images are now available showing a CME corresponding to the 2021-12-20/11:36 M1 flare.  The direction is mostly south and east, but the lobe itself is wide enough that we should get a partial hit (more than a glancing blow).

just a very faint part Earth directed so I really don't expect 'epic' things, only a slight enhancement.

• Like 1