Who sees the face?

Solarflaretracker200

36 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Nope, it will end in a planetary nebula 

Those are what’s left after a supernova though right?

But I thought our sun was too small for a supernova?  I thought it would just become a red giant (and swallow earth) and then slowly collapse down to a white or brown dwarf 

7 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

Those are what’s left after a supernova though right?

But I thought our sun was too small for a supernova?  I thought it would just become a red giant (and swallow earth) and then slowly collapse down to a white or brown dwarf 

When our sun is at its end of its life and burned up all fuel, it will grow bigger and swallow the inner planets till every bit of fuel is out. It will then shed its outer layers which creates an expanding glowing shell of hot gas resulting in a planetary nebula with a white dwarf in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

When our sun is at its end of its life and burned up all fuel, it will grow bigger and swallow the inner planets till every bit of fuel is out. It will then shed its outer layers which creates an expanding glowing shell of hot gas resulting in a planetary nebula with a white dwarf in the middle.

Oh thanks, I didn’t know the nebulas could form without a supernova. Other than that, that’s what I remembered too 😁

On 12/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Potentially if the white dwarf cools slow enough (2+ billion years), the carbon will form a crystalline structure and be another diamond in the sky. 

• Cool 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...