What is the highest number sunspots you have seen?

Solarflaretracker200

High sunspot number doesn’t necessarily mean stronger solar flares ;) it just means many many spots and regions and a solar flux that’s around C-level with daily M-class solar flares and a few minor X-class flares.

in 2003, we where way past solar max (monthly mean 97 SSN) and we had the strongest flares in recent history X17, X28), the SSN was then 238 so that would be my record 😜

Ps: the strongest solar flares aren’t in solar max but most times just after solar max.

2 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

High sunspot number doesn’t necessarily mean stronger solar flares ;) it just means many many spots and regions and a solar flux that’s around C-level with daily M-class solar flares and a few minor X-class flares.

in 2003, we where way past solar max (monthly mean 97 SSN) and we had the strongest flares in recent history X17, X28), the SSN was then 238 so that would be my record 😜

Ps: the strongest solar flares aren’t in solar max but most times just after solar max.

Oh ok! I thought the more sunspots there are the more X class solar flares! For example on October 28th the X class happened and I thought it was because of the number of sunspots. But I guess I was wrong.

But then when the M Class solar flares happened I remember on Nov 1 and Nov 2 the sunspots were lower then on Oct 28.  

I think I am all wrong on this lol...

23 minuten geleden, Solarflaretracker200 zei:

Oh ok! I thought the more sunspots there are the more X class solar flares!

Sometimes you only need one big active and magnetically complex region to do that 😉

its not the number that counts, it’s the size 😜 and complexity of the region(s)

• Like 1

Maybe the 68 around Nov 1st or so, although it may have been higher before and I didn't notice.
I do remember sometime earlier this year we had 6 active regions on the sun at once, the first time in a few years that's happened. Idk how many sunspots there were then though.

1980 was epic.  on one day the russian woodpecker which followed the maximum usable frequency was just under 50 mhz !  It was a reliable indication of how intense the ionosphere was over certain paths.    unfortunately it wrecked our communications at the same time 😂

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

1980 was epic.  on one day the russian woodpecker which followed the maximum usable frequency was just under 50 mhz !  It was a reliable indication of how intense the ionosphere was over certain paths.    unfortunately it wrecked our communications at the same time 😂

Russian woodpecker???

sorry.  apologies.  Im a ham and watch the solar flux on a daily basis.  There was something called over the horizon radar in use by the Russians.  The main transmitter was located near Pripyat ( yup close to Chernobyl) and probably somewhere someone has a recording of our little irritant.  We weren’t at all sorry when it went away. 😇

• 3 weeks later...