BZ south for Aurora?

Sam Warfel

I know the BZ should be south for Aurora to become powerful, so I’m waiting for it to hopefully switch back south after it’s current northerly trend before I go out of town to look for Aurora. 
Is that good, or am I going to miss something?

~paranoid Aurora hunter

I think we just entered the magnetic center of the cloud, which by the looks of it is pointing southward. If this is the case we could see hours of steady southward Bz before flipping north. Let's see. A great impact nonetheless and a fast transit time of like 40 hours. Well done Sun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I think we just entered the magnetic center of the cloud, which by the looks of it is pointing southward. If this is the case we could see hours of steady southward Bz before flipping north. Let's see. A great impact nonetheless and a fast transit time of like 40 hours. Well done Sun!

So you think the main CME has arrived? Great!

6 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Looks like it, but I was asleep then 😭

Is there a certain likely hood of a CME’s orientation?  Is it 50/50?  For example, if the “big one” is coming, do we assume it’s Bz is negative and take precautionary steps?  

Also, can we get a hint on orientation from the direction of solar flare?  Whether it propagates from the negative pole to the positive or the reverse?

1 uur terug, Vacuum zei:

Is there a certain likely hood of a CME’s orientation?  Is it 50/50?  For example, if the “big one” is coming, do we assume it’s Bz is negative and take precautionary steps?  

Also, can we get a hint on orientation from the direction of solar flare?  Whether it propagates from the negative pole to the positive or the reverse?

If it was that simple it would already be available 😉 the direction of the IMF can’t be predicted upfront. The IMF polarity can be predicted but is something else. That’s why you can have a G3 prediction and upon arrival  with a northward IMF a no storm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

As @Vancanneyt Sander stated, its possible to model the IMF Polarity.

But the direction cant be predicted, because CME's often twist and turn on their way to earth and we have no way of monitoring that.

10 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

If it was that simple it would already be available 😉 the direction of the IMF can’t be predicted upfront. The IMF polarity can be predicted but is something else. That’s why you can have a G3 prediction and upon arrival  with a northward IMF a no storm.

There goes my Nobel prize!  Thank you

8 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

As @Vancanneyt Sander stated, its possible to model the IMF Polarity.

But the direction cant be predicted, because CME's often twist and turn on their way to earth and we have no way of monitoring that.

I had no idea the twisted!  Cool