Wow! All the FT8 bands on the East Coast dead for 5 minutes. Thought it was my radio ! Nope, X-class baby !

Dr. I

11 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Im just wondering, how could this tiny little Beta-Class Sunspot burp out an X1 Solar Flare altough not being magnetically complex? 😳

Because the region is so close to the limb, it’s magnetic configuration can’t be determined, so it looked like a beta region but due to the limb we can’t see the whole magnetic layout making it hard to predict flares 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Because the region is so close to the limb, it’s magnetic configuration can’t be determined, so it looked like a beta region but due to the limb we can’t see the whole magnetic layout making it hard to predict flares 

I thought so too. Very impressive! 🥳

Fearmongers are going rampage on Youtube already *sighs*

Do you think it has a chance of an earth directed component?

21 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I thought so too. Very impressive! 🥳

Fearmongers are going rampage on Youtube already *sighs*

Do you think it has a chance of an earth directed component?

I really hope so! I'm sure that people like the NOAA analysts will be able to figure out whether it has one or not soon.

For me, personally, I'm glad the flares (especially that X-Class one) weren't directed towards the planet. I can't even begin to imagine the negative electrical effects the high-level geomagnetic storms would've caused...😰😰😰

Edited by Bedreamon

12 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

Para mí, personalmente, me alegro de que las bengalas (especialmente la de Clase X) no estuvieran dirigidas hacia el planeta. Ni siquiera puedo empezar a imaginar los efectos eléctricos negativos que habrían causado las tormentas geomagnéticas de alto nivel ... 😰 😰 😰

Like this solar flare x was not so bad, it was even weaker if it had been directly to the earth it would cause a geomanetic storm g2 or g1 depending on whether it slows or raises speed, so calm down nothing to worry about for now

39 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

For me, personally, I'm glad the flares (especially that X-Class one) weren't directed towards the planet. I can't even begin to imagine the negative electrical effects the high-level geomagnetic storms would've caused...😰😰😰

Probably none. we survived a full on X28(or more) Blast in 2003 with almost no disruptions:)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Probablemente ninguno. sobrevivimos a una explosión completa en X28 (o más) en 2003 casi sin interrupciones :)

rather a flare x +17, the flare +28 or more went to the other side and gave an indirect blow to planet earth

13 hours ago, Dr. I said:

Thought it was my radio ! Nope, X-class baby ! That was cool! Tracked it on your site in real-time

What did the sound like? White noise?  What was your S-meter reading?  Interestingly enough, DX propagation on 20m and 40m has been excellent in the hours since the ionosphere got its bell rung!

10 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Probably none. we survived a full on X28(or more) Blast in 2003 with almost no disruptions:)

10 hours ago, Isatsuki San said:

rather a flare x +17, the flare +28 or more went to the other side and gave an indirect blow to planet earth

Yeah, but I still think about that one G3 storm on May 12th earlier this year that was seemingly caused by a small filament. It still makes me wonder... and not usually in a good way. 😢

Edited by Bedreamon

43 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

Sí, pero todavía pienso en esa tormenta G3 el 12 de mayo a principios de este año que aparentemente fue causada por un pequeño filamento. Todavía me hace preguntarme ... y generalmente no en el buen sentido. 😢

calm down, look at May 12 it was because of the bz that turned south and opened cracks and entered the protons and the solar wind and that's why the g3 storm And if I'm honest with you, if I got scared when I saw that, but after I saw why it happened, I began to calm down and see what happened, on May 12 it was a coincidence that I joined the bz down to south and increased the storm intensity to g3

53 minutes ago, Bedreamon said:

Sí, pero todavía pienso en esa tormenta G3 el 12 de mayo a principios de este año que aparentemente fue causada por un pequeño filamento. Todavía me hace preguntarme ... y generalmente no en el buen sentido. 😢

I assure you, there is nothing to worry or be afraid of, let's just look at how the solar cycle and its sun spots and solar flares progress

3 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

What did the sound like? White noise?  What was your S-meter reading?

In my case, my spectrograph recorded the type-II/III radio emission down to about 10 MHz. Below that, it was not possible to receive the radio emissions, due to ionization of the ionospheric layers from the x-ray emissions.
On other occasions with weaker flares but strong CME, I've recorded emissions down to 5 MHz.
In narrow band (SSB) it is white noise, this time with a peak spectral power density of about -142 dBm/Hz (that would correspond to S3 on the s-meter), so it was relatively weak and you need a low noise environment to notice it.
In wide band spectrogram, it is the characteristic pattern of type-II/III emissions as seen in this image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Solar_Radio_Bursts_Types_I%2C_II%2C_and_III.jpg

The X-rays caused a strong ionization in the D-layer, to absorb everything below ~20 MHz. Considering that I've still received the type-II/III emissions below that frequency, they must have been very powerful outside the earths atmosphere.

Edited by helios
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Isatsuki San said:

I have a few questions. When the flare are on the other side of the sun (not visible), it's possible to know if there is a flare ? Is it possible to perceive certain effects ?

For example, if in 4 days the region 2838 is flaring a M or X flare on the other side of the sun, it's possible to know ? Or if it's on the other side it's impossible to know ? If it's possible, is it possible to know precisely the power of the flare ? (C,M or X or C.7, M.3 or X.2,...) ?

I hope it's clear ! :)

Thanks.

33 minuten geleden, Delz86 zei:

I have a few questions. When the flare are on the other side of the sun (not visible), it's possible to know if there is a flare ? Is it possible to perceive certain effects ?

For example, if in 4 days the region 2838 is flaring a M or X flare on the other side of the sun, it's possible to know ? Or if it's on the other side it's impossible to know ? If it's possible, is it possible to know precisely the power of the flare ? (C,M or X or C.7, M.3 or X.2,...) ?

I hope it's clear ! :)

Thanks.

We don't have a lot of eyes on the farside of the Sun, only with Stereo we have a bit of a look on the farside and on those imagery sometimes you can see solar flares there but it's impossible to know how strong those were because there is no x-ray sensor on the Stereo satellite. Farside solar flares don't have any effect on the planet, only in rare occasions it could produce a space radiation storm. Solar flares that occur on the western limb can still affect Earth due to the Parker spiral effect (for example the X28 in SC23 was a limb event and had an effect on Earth but nothing major)

When I have more time time I will post the details of what happened the Day the Radio died ! X-class flare...It was cool, very cool...

BTW, this site is fire...keep up the good job!

Edited by Dr. I
  • Like 2

12 minuten geleden, abc zei:

I think there is another occasion when there is a farside impact, that's when there is a full halo cme, is thar right?

Don’t know what you mean exactly 🤔. Farside events can be full halo CME’s but directed away from Earth. 
there was one farside Event I know of in september 2014 where the backside solar flare caused an enhancement in the proton flux but still below S1 storm level: https://www.stce.be/newsletter/html/2014/STCEnews20140911.html#1 

16 minuten geleden, Dr. I zei:

BTW, this site is fire...keep up the good job!

Thx 😊

18 hours ago, Bedreamon said:

There are so many, me included, just waiting for a big X flare and long duration CME to hit the earth fair and square in the belly. Thereby setting off auroras all around the globe.

Bedreamon, don't be frightened of it. Look forward to it. You'll be fine. And those auroras will be amazing! 😁

• Like 4

19 minuten geleden, abc zei:

I mean somtimes when the cme is 360 degrees, it maight have a chance for the outer boundaries hit the Earth althoug it may be a glancing blow

You mean during a limb flare or? That’s only the case on the western limb due to the Parker spiral effect. Eastern limb is even with a wide CME almost impossible. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bedreamon said:

Yeah, but I still think about that one G3 storm on May 12th earlier this year that was seemingly caused by a small filament. It still makes me wonder... and not usually in a good way. 😢

You really need  to stop watching those Youtubers that inflict only anxiety with their fearmongering.

Of course a really big solar Flar (carrington size) *could* technically happen at any time , but dont let such a very small eventuality make your life miserable.

Even strong X-Class Flares and even G4-5 storming will not kill all of our Powergrids.. Look at the 2003 Halloween Storms. We've come a LONG way since then. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1