New research finds a link between solar flares and earthquakes.

Aeon

17 hours ago, MissNeona said:

Sunspot observation, "solar cycles" are not what I was addressing. I have different theories and opinions on that. Also, sun spots don't directly relate to flare events from what I have seen, so, personally, I don't comprehend what this chart demonstrates.

Observation bias and collective authority is a curious instance. 

But I appreciate that you bring forth examples of what has happened in  the past. 

What I was stating was that when solar flares themselves happen, it could potentially have an echo on earth, do you have data and graphs that articulate that?

From what I see there might be some huge shifts coming up, but to each their own sources, path, trajectory, manifestations, intentions, mechanisms with adequate and proper murmuration. 

Ase, ashe, ashira!

Usually during solar maximum there are more solar flares. This graph shows that the frequency of earthquakes is consistent throughout solar minimum and solar maximum which does show that it's also consistent through periods with low solar activity and high solar activity. Therefore this graph is relevant. It shows that earthquakes aren't connected to solar activity.

What studies have you read that shows there "might be some huge shifts coming up"? I'm interested in those studies to see how they have came to the conclusion that there might be a connection.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arjemma said:

It shows that earthquakes aren't connected to solar activity.

This is the only part I'd disagree with, or at least clarify what I think about; what the graph shows is that there clearly isn't any easily discernible connection, which is consistent with any such correlation being quite weak at best (but possibly still statistically significant). In other words, while strong geomagnetic activity might possibly trigger an earthquake on rare occasions if the conditions are right, the vast majority of earthquakes have nothing to do with Solar activity at all, and likewise the vast majority of Solar activity doesn't have any impact on seismic activity. So what I mean is that whether a weak correlation exists at all is the only thing that's up for debate, that a strong correlation does not exist at all is extremely obvious at this point.

On the other points I fully agree, the chart certainly does a very good job of demonstrating that there's very obviously not any clear correlation.

1 hour ago, arjemma said:

What studies have you read that shows there "might be some huge shifts coming up"?

I doubt you'll get anywhere with trying to deal with things like that rationally. Talk like that has been a staple of New Age nonsense for almost a century at this point, there's always a "great shift" looming around the corner according to such people. In this case it seems even clearer to me when looking at some of the other language being used.

Personally I suspect it's based on some kind of desire for exactly the time one is living in to be "special" in some way, which coincidentally is also the root type of thinking for a lot of other eschatological religious thought, including Abrahamic prophecies about messiahs and judgment days; it's apparently hard for some people to let go of the wishful thinking and accept that we're only somewhat clever apes who spent our last tens of millions of years in the tropical equatorial rainforest just trying our best to survive and reproduce.

But oh well, enough armchair psychology on my part, pretty sure this isn't a thread I'm going to be engaging further with anyway.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Philalethes said:

This is the only part I'd disagree with, or at least clarify what I think about; what the graph shows is that there clearly isn't any easily discernible connection, which is consistent with any such correlation being quite weak at best (but possibly still statistically significant). In other words, while strong geomagnetic activity might possibly trigger an earthquake on rare occasions if the conditions are right, the vast majority of earthquakes have nothing to do with Solar activity at all, and likewise the vast majority of Solar activity doesn't have any impact on seismic activity. So what I mean is that whether a weak correlation exists at all is the only thing that's up for debate, that a strong correlation does not exist at all is extremely obvious at this point.

Ah I get what you mean, I agree. I should have worded that differently as it of course doesn't show that it 100% doesn't have a connection.

To answer your other part of your comment, I think you are right here. I have seen this so many times and it’s always some sort of world ending event that is going to happen soon and that “soon” have been pushed forward for decades now… it’s tiring to debate with people that have that view. Everything for clicks I suppose.

I’m also going to leave this discussion here. I would like to use my brain cells on other more important theories that actually have a factual background.

Edited by arjemma
  • Like 1