Active Region 2014

Marcel de Bont

SpaceWeatherLive Report

Long duration C5 solar flare - sunspot region 2014

Solar activity remains at low levels with multiple C-class flares being observed from multiple regions. The most interesting event occurred this night. Sunspot region 2014 produced a long duration C5 solar flare. The flare was associated with a CME. First analyses suggest the CME could have a slight earth-directed component. A weak shock arrival might be possible at Earth in a few days. Nonetheless we wait for more imagery to make a final conclusion. The video provided shows the C5 solar flare. More information will follow later so keep an eye on this topic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=540060796108434

SpaceWeatherLive Report

C5 solar flare - CME analysis

A short update on the CME that got released this night following the C5 solar flare from region 2014. There are still some data gaps in LASCO imagery but a very faint asymmetrical full halo CME can be seen. Jplots analysis with STEREO B/COR2 imagery suggest a launch speed close to 800km/s. A glancing blow is possible on March 26. We however we do not expect any significant geomagnetic activity from this event because of the faint halo outline.

or4f0j.gif

Animation of the CME as seen by SOHO/LASCO - note the faint halo outline:

98g9rk.gif

22c949.gif

It looks quite weak to give a Kp=4 condition... too bad as I will still be in Saint Petersburg when it (potentially) reaches us... Could have gone for a bit more aurora hunting :)

Kp4 is indeed unlikely. Nonetheless, there was a long duration C2 solar flare around 12:30 UTC today. SDO shows coronal dimming near region 2010 which means it possibly launched a CME. We will keep an eye on that.

UPDATE 23:10 UTC: >

The CME from the C5 solar flare has arrived at ACE. It arrived a bit earlier than expected! The impact looks weak, something that we expected but keep an eye on www.spaceweatherlive.com for the latest forecasts as the direction of the IMF went south, which is good for auroral activity. Kp4 will be possible with the current stats, European sky watchers on the high latitudes should be alert for aurorae in the coming hours.

Our automated detection system detected the impact and an alert was send to our Twitter followers and those who receive our email alerts.

Sh.it!!!! I don't have a car! With such numbers and especially the southern IMF, and the current weather forecast, driving an hour north of Saint Petersburg would almost guarantee some nice activity above the horizon!!!

With -10nT of IMF it surely will.... and with cloudless weather coming down from the north, you can imagine my frustration....

Should I jump call a taxi to drive me out of town and wait for me... don't know how much worth it it would be to spend 50-100 euros for it... and I don't speak Russian so hard to explain.

I sent a desperate sms to my friends who have cars but it's midnight here everyone is already sleeping I'm afraid...

Archived