Active Regions 1899 & 1904

Guest diego

Hey everybody, someone could explain to me if is possible that from the centre of main sunspot AR11899 can grow an inverse polarity's structure?, or WTF it is ? :)

xku7.png

In latest imagery it's no longer there but from the posted image you can see the field strength was not strong there with about 200 G, in latest images the field strength there is about -250 G, the rest of the sunspot has a field strength up to -1500G.

When we look at the original magnetogram (the classic white/black) from yesterday and today, the whole sunspot has a black solid state with a small dot of white in the right upper side of the sunspot (which you can also see in the image you posted). 

To conclude, in this case is that it is just a zone where the field strength is less strong and thus gives it a slight positive field in the core, but compared to the original magnetogram it is solid black and thus negatively charged.

In latest imagery it's no longer there but from the posted image you can see the field strength was not strong there with about 200 G, in latest images the field strength there is about -250 G, the rest of the sunspot has a field strength up to -1500G.

When we look at the original magnetogram (the classic white/black) from yesterday and today, the whole sunspot has a black solid state with a small dot of white in the right upper side of the sunspot (which you can also see in the image you posted). 

To conclude, in this case is that it is just a zone where the field strength is less strong and thus gives it a slight positive field in the core, but compared to the original magnetogram it is solid black and thus negatively charged.

Well, then is possible that this sunspot is decaying from its center? I'm including dopplergram's image to show its strong magnetic fields, also a Magnetogram (B&W) where can appreciate this inner.

8cvc.png     wpvr.png

In latest imagery it is still there indeed and looking at those imagery it might be a start of the break-up of the large leaderspot. 

The weaker field that might be a slight up tic positive might break it apart and thus decay further.

PS.: again a nice example of the strange things that can occur on the sun ;-)

SpaceWeatherLive Solar Activity Update

November 23, 2013 - 13:15 UTC

Solar activity is at moderate levels thanks to two M1 solar flares.

The first M-class flare was an M1.1 at 02:32 UTC and the second M-class flare was an impulsive M1.0 solar flare which occurred at 12:57 UTC. Source of the solar flares were newly numbered region 1904 (Beta-Gamma) which is located just north of Active Region 1899 but based on SDO imagery it looks like the two regions are interacting with each other. Any eruptions from these regions will not be directed towards Earth as both regions will soon rotate of the solar disk. The image below shows the impulsive M1.0 solar flare which occured at 12:57 UTC:

• 2 months later...
Guest PetaFlux

In latest imagery it is still there indeed and looking at those imagery it might be a start of the break-up of the large leaderspot. 

attachicon.gif1899_HMIBC.jpg

The weaker field that might be a slight up tic positive might break it apart and thus decay further.

PS.: again a nice example of the strange things that can occur on the sun ;-)

Well, then is possible that this sunspot is decaying from its center? I'm including dopplergram's image to show its strong magnetic fields, also a Magnetogram (B&W) where can appreciate this inner.

8cvc.png     wpvr.png

No, that is a data error spilling out on the image.

It is caused by the very strong magnetic fields.

You can see the same data error in AR11967

latest_4096_hmibc.jpg?w=450&h=363

Here is the SOHO HMI magnetogram. Same day, two different images. On one it is visible and the other it is not? I guess it is a data error? I never really bothered with it but I always assumed it was just an error.

http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-94-0-87823400-1391950479.jpghttp://www.spaceweatherlive.com/community/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-94-0-87612000-1391950480.jpg

Guest PetaFlux

Here is the SOHO HMI magnetogram. Same day, two different images. On one it is visible and the other it is not? I guess it is a data error? I never really bothered with it but I always assumed it was just an error.

attachicon.gif20131117_1500_hmimag_1024.jpgattachicon.gif20131117_1630_hmimag_1024.jpg

It can still be a data error, what you have to do is look up the SOHO MDI and see if the SOHO magnetogram said the same or not. Both SDO and SOHO capture the magnetogram and if it is a real "thing" it would show up on both magnetograms.

When the field gets really strong the counter overflows from (say) 511 to -511. In other words it is a digitization error in the raw (level=0 data). So one extra count makes the colour table go from white to black or visa verse. It will be corrected in the level 1 and certainly in the processed level 2 data which will be available via the VSO after a couple of weeks.
You can watch it yourself here:

The same error can certainly show up at both SDO and SOHO without being a "real" thing, they are using the same data so it will have the same saturation data.

Archived