ionosphere D detection

hello, I would like to detect the D ionosphere to see the effect of flares on the ionosphere. The problem is that I don't know anything about radio at all. can you explain to me what thing I should buy thank you

https://solarham.com/globald.htm  

Hey Gabriel.  No need to buy anything. 
Solar ham has an easy link to D-RAP above.  In fact I watch it myself for a heads up when anticipating a large M or X flare.  It will typically go blood-red to announce the arrival of those really energetic waves.  The D layer is only present during daylight hours and effectively absorbs the radio wavelengths below approximately 10 mhz.  Unless further ionisation from heavy particles bombardment is happening also.  It doesn’t do us Hams  much good but does its job of protecting us living beings quite well indeed. 😇. Checkitout, we should be seeing it becoming much more active in the next two weeks as we approach Solar Maximum this year probably .  When will we actually attain Solar Maximum? Opinions vary.   Have fun.  Mike/Hagrid 

• Like 3

Thank you for your answer, I would like to do it myself. I love building, I had already created a cosmic ray detector and it worked really well. Do you have any links to build one?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gabriel.exe said:

Thank you for your answer, I would like to do it myself. I love building, I had already created a cosmic ray detector and it worked really well. Do you have any links to build one?

No, I don’t. For cosmic rays ( very energetic particles) a typical old school geiger counter like my CDV 700 is what I use, It detects beta and gamma particles quite well.  I imagine you have constructed something similar.  The hard and soft X rays are pretty much spent in ionisation of our D layer and you would likely need a satellite orbiting with a transponder to get the data you need.   Ironically, the more ionospheric ionisation we get towards Solar max, the less particles we receive from those energetic cosmic rays too.  This is called a Forbush decrease, in the event you weren’t aware of it.  Good luck regardless,  I am an avid builder/experimenter myself.  See ya, Mike. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Typo
  • Like 2

THANKS. the cosmic ray detector was just an example because in the long term I would like to create an observatory for space weather. how do they detect the ionosphere D what radio do they use?

I already knew the forbush effect and the gle (I had already managed to detect the forbush effect when there was the last G4 storm)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gabriel.exe said:

THANKS. the cosmic ray detector was just an example because in the long term I would like to create an observatory for space weather. how do they detect the ionosphere D what radio do they use?

You have me on that one Gabriel! Haha. I only know it came into being about some thirty or forty years ago.  I assume satellite detection. Now I  will do my due diligence and read up on it!  
and get back to ya.  73 Mike   I’m surprised at my inability to locate which satellite(s) are responsible for detection. Perhaps others here reading this are more aware of its inception and integration into spaceweather predictions, Gabriel. I would imagine a ground- based station to be relatively inefficient at those wavelengths however, as we ourselves must use a satellite to detect the longer wavelengths we employ to track TCI Thermosphere Climate Index at about 30cm.  Where 10.7 is quite easily done in any weather by DRAO in British Columbia Canada at ground level.  Not to dissuade a fellow experimenter, there may be another trick nobody before has considered! Haha. Good luck.  Mike/Hagrid 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Update

1 hour ago, Gabriel.exe said:

how do they detect the ionosphere D what radio do they use?

With a riometer, apparently:

As the name implies, a riometer measures the "opacity" of the ionosphere to radio noise emanating from cosmic origin. In the absence of any ionospheric absorption, this radio noise, averaged over a sufficiently long period of time, forms a quiet-day curve. Increased ionization in the ionosphere will cause absorption of radio signals (both terrestrial and extraterrestrial), and a departure from the quiet-day curve. The difference between the quiet-day curve and the riometer signal is an indicator of the amount of absorption, and is measured in decibels. Riometers are generally passive radio antenna operating in the VHF radio frequency range (~30-40 MHz). Electromagnetic radiation of that frequency is typically Galactic synchrotron radiation and is absorbed in the Earth's D region of the ionosphere.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

With a riometer, apparently:

Thanks for weighing in there @Philalethes!  Learn something new every day.  HAARP went into operation in the late 1980s or early 1990s by my memory and used multi kilowatt pulses to ionise our own ionosphere.  Cool stuff.  Mike   I was just imagining if I had access to those final amplifiers, making a cross-continental contact with @WA1ZJL in Maine this cycle would be a whole lot easier on 50 mhz although probably illegal at megawatt levels. Haha. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Afterthoughts haha
  • Cool 1

Posted (edited)

I saw that the frequencies from 0 to 35 MHz are degraded during a solar flare so 
I just have to take a radio and scan the zones from 0 to 35.
 I don't know anything about radio
Edited by Gabriel.exe

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Gabriel.exe said:

I saw that the frequencies from 0 to 35 MHz are degraded during a solar flare so 
I just have to take a radio and scan the zones from 0 to 35.
 I don't know anything about radio

Radio is nothing more than electromagnetic radiation as are light waves or particles are, just a lower frequency so to speak.    And if you watch a D-RAP run by playing it as a movie you will note the increased absorption kick upwards on the right hand graph simultaneously with the pulses of hard X Radiation absorbed by our D layer.  Mike   I realise that it can be a difficult thing to imagine, but it is absolutely true. Imagining radio waves from all directions and all angles coming in at all times is difficult.  And even cooler us hams can use twenty meters around the clock near Solar max to make worldwide contacts. No internet required or needed.  😆

Edited by hamateur 1953

6 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Thanks for weighing in there @Philalethes!  Learn something new every day.  HAARP went into operation in the late 1980s or early 1990s by my memory and used multi kilowatt pulses to ionise our own ionosphere.  Cool stuff.  Mike   I was just imagining if I had access to those final amplifiers, making a cross-continental contact with @WA1ZJL in Maine this cycle would be a whole lot easier on 50 mhz although probably illegal at megawatt levels. Haha. 

If we could each get half of that amp (network I presume) that would do it on probably any frequency.  Have to be careful of the receivers though

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

La radio n’est rien de plus qu’un rayonnement électromagnétique, tout comme les ondes lumineuses ou les particules, juste une fréquence plus basse pour ainsi dire. Et si vous regardez un D-RAP exécuté en le jouant comme un film, vous remarquerez l'augmentation de l'absorption vers le haut sur le graphique de droite simultanément avec les impulsions de rayonnement X dur absorbées par notre couche D. Mike, je me rends compte que cela peut être difficile à imaginer, mais c'est absolument vrai. Il est difficile d’imaginer des ondes radio provenant de toutes les directions et de tous les angles et arrivant à tout moment. Et encore plus cool, les jambons américains peuvent utiliser vingt mètres 24 heures sur 24 près de Solar Max pour établir des contacts dans le monde entier. Pas d'Internet requis ou nécessaire.   😆

how I can listen to it's waves ( And if you watch a D-RAP performed while playing it like a movie, you will notice the increase in absorption upwards on the right graph simultaneously with the hard x-ray pulses absorbed by our layer D) which radio allows it which models in particular

I may have found https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Plyisty-Loop-Antenna-5-35Mhz-Enthusiast-Default/dp/B09C8MSDCY. I will connect this antenna to an RTL SDR https://www.amazon.fr/Nooelec-RTL-SDR-SDR-100kHz-1-75GHz-PPM/dp/B01HA642SW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.AIubDVktdOJihmK9aZ1aleoHUELRb9DN1CLaw2 l5SPX4q5pf6bLKZpB4y2O6ip_lv4IDlvpfQR2D3B6yyPKSWpuf0zS_XM3LACKK1wz0Y2qDStlf2qLu6PpUO2Ha4Y28qEkfHb_6K9UG8W1xq6UryBu4mEATry8TXOBm3RhrnbFf0Aw_WjUUfQP euLK9vIrJj- 4-lp8h-xCYdK1AmMA1QfQv_1kvllw0dajJWR3SMItUdYxf_iJSjo2k33PX5BZiybw-6uXY4hqbj6RrkFH8lTZIVS-jetjalg00C4bxcUw.Eh_AUMBd3xxjnuTJWwXXB9qbnovzTeEnN_sj3qb A3Vs&dib_tag=se&keywords=rtl+sdr&qid=1714646326&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

except that I don't know how to power it and how to connect it to the RTL SDR

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gabriel.exe said:

how I can listen to it's waves ( And if you watch a D-RAP performed while playing it like a movie, you will notice the increase in absorption upwards on the right graph simultaneously with the hard x-ray pulses absorbed by our layer D) which radio allows it which models in particular

I may have found https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Plyisty-Loop-Antenna-5-35Mhz-Enthusiast-Default/dp/B09C8MSDCY. I will connect this antenna to an RTL SDR https://www.amazon.fr/Nooelec-RTL-SDR-SDR-100kHz-1-75GHz-PPM/dp/B01HA642SW/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.AIubDVktdOJihmK9aZ1aleoHUELRb9DN1CLaw2 l5SPX4q5pf6bLKZpB4y2O6ip_lv4IDlvpfQR2D3B6yyPKSWpuf0zS_XM3LACKK1wz0Y2qDStlf2qLu6PpUO2Ha4Y28qEkfHb_6K9UG8W1xq6UryBu4mEATry8TXOBm3RhrnbFf0Aw_WjUUfQP euLK9vIrJj- 4-lp8h-xCYdK1AmMA1QfQv_1kvllw0dajJWR3SMItUdYxf_iJSjo2k33PX5BZiybw-6uXY4hqbj6RrkFH8lTZIVS-jetjalg00C4bxcUw.Eh_AUMBd3xxjnuTJWwXXB9qbnovzTeEnN_sj3qb A3Vs&dib_tag=se&keywords=rtl+sdr&qid=1714646326&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

except that I don't know how to power it and how to connect it to the RTL SDR

If you wanted to actually listen to the waves, you would require a mixer like an NE 602 chip and derive an audio signal from that plus an injected frequency.  Not my area of expertise for whatever you are using  @Gabriel.exe  perhaps another reading this may be able to assist you in your endeavors.  Good luck, regardless Mike/Hagrid. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
NE602

On 5/1/2024 at 9:31 AM, Gabriel.exe said:

hello, I would like to detect the D ionosphere to see the effect of flares on the ionosphere. The problem is that I don't know anything about radio at all. can you explain to me what thing I should buy thank you

You can observe it indirectly, there are two ways
- By the attenuation of HF frequencies
- By the increased reflectivity of VLF frequencies

The first one has already been explained.

For the second one, you record the signal strength of VLF transmitters. On the daylit side of earth, VLF waves are reflected on the D-layer. During a flare, the signal strength will change.

All you need to detect those changes is a radio-quiet location, a VLF antenna and a sound card. (VLF frequencies are 3-30 kHz, which can be received with the sound card).

https://britastro.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Hyde_SIDcoverdisk.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helios said:

You can observe it indirectly, there are two ways
- By the attenuation of HF frequencies
- By the increased reflectivity of VLF frequencies

The first one has already been explained.

For the second one, you record the signal strength of VLF transmitters. On the daylit side of earth, VLF waves are reflected on the D-layer. During a flare, the signal strength will change.

All you need to detect those changes is a radio-quiet location, a VLF antenna and a sound card. (VLF frequencies are 3-30 kHz, which can be received with the sound card).

Tnx for weighing in here @helios  Mike 

1 hour ago, helios said:

Vous pouvez l'observer indirectement, il y a deux manières
- Par l'atténuation des fréquences HF
- Par la réflectivité accrue des fréquences VLF

Le premier a déjà été expliqué.

Pour le second, vous enregistrez la force du signal des émetteurs VLF. Du côté de la Terre éclairé par le jour, les ondes VLF se reflètent sur la couche D. Lors d'une éruption, la force du signal changera.

Tout ce dont vous avez besoin pour détecter ces changements est un endroit silencieux, une antenne VLF et une carte son. (Les fréquences VLF sont de 3 à 30 kHz, qui peuvent être reçues avec la carte son).

Thank you for finding a wonderful link, I couldn't find any.

I managed to find lots of other links with the word SID "Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance" https://britastro.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Hyde_SIDv7.pdf

thank you very much for helping me without you I would not have succeeded at all