C5.6 12/04/2024 CME

If it hits europe again we can probably expect another hilarious spaceweather meme.  Trump may indeed have to launch some nukes at our sun @tniickck! Haha   ( referring to an April Fool’s joke perpetrated by the staff in 2023) 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Reference
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

If it hits europe again we can probably expect another hilarious spaceweather meme.  Trump may indeed have to launch some nukes at our sun @tniickck! Haha   ( referring to an April Fool’s joke perpetrated by the staff in 2023) 

it's gonna be cloud in Moscow again so i will probably suffer from not being able to see aurora

The flare is unassociated with the CME(s). There were filament eruptions. A faster filament in the north-central disk launched east and we will likely take a glancing blow. A second filament is what launched on the 12th from the southwest-central disk. It looks to be slower, but we may get a more direct impact.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The flare is unassociated with the CME(s). There were filament eruptions. A faster filament in the north-central disk launched east and we will likely take a glancing blow. A second filament is what launched on the 12th from the southwest-central disk. It looks to be slower, but we may get a more direct impact.

So I'm pretty well versed on how to look for aurora, but I'm still a bit new to the helioscience so forgive me if I ask a bunch of eli5 style questions but if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, the impact on the magnetosphere, can be attributed to a combo of factors like the mass and speed of the cme? Are cme's associated with bigger flares because big ones are more likely than small ones to blast them? If this feels like it belongs in another thread pls help mod I'm a bit weak in my forum skills.

Also I have no idea how solar protons events work but they'd be useful for catching surprise auroral displays.

Edited by coinpeace

42 minutes ago, coinpeace said:

So I'm pretty well versed on how to look for aurora, but I'm still a bit new to the helioscience so forgive me if I ask a bunch of eli5 style questions but if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, the impact on the magnetosphere, can be attributed to a combo of factors like the mass and speed of the cme? Are cme's associated with bigger flares because big ones are more likely than small ones to blast them? If this feels like it belongs in another thread pls help mod I'm a bit weak in my forum skills.

Also I have no idea how solar protons events work but they'd be useful for catching surprise auroral displays.

The only events that produce geomagnetic storms are Coronal Holes and Coronal Mass Ejections.

CMEs that normally arrive at Earth come from eruptive solar flares or filament eruptions. The strongest CMEs come from powerful eruptive flares.

What is good for geomagnetic activity are high velocities, high densities, and a strong and/or consistent negative IMF Bz component.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, coinpeace said:

C flares can produce KPs of 7? That's crazy. Does it have to do with the amount of ejecta in the cme?

even Kp9-. surprise! 

C flares can produce strong CMEs but with a lower chance than for example M and X flares

• Like 1

20 hours ago, coinpeace said:

the impact on the magnetosphere, can be attributed to a combo of factors like the mass and speed of the cme?

Yes, the density and speed of the CME are among the most important factors, but perhaps even more important is the component of their magnetic field that is aligned with the geomagnetic field, the Bz; the strongest geomagnetic activity typically occurs when there's a hit by a CME that is adequately dense and fast and the Bz is negative for a prolonged period of time.

Are cme's associated with bigger flares because big ones are more likely than small ones to blast them?

Typically that is indeed the case, but filament eruptions tend not be associated with as much flaring, nor are they typically as strong, as they are already existing filaments above the surface that get released rather than eruptions from the lower layers of the photosphere and chromosphere. They can still definitely produce significant geomagnetic conditions under the right circumstances, though.

I have no idea how solar protons events work

The most explosive eruptions launch a lot of highly energetic particles, including lots of high-energy protons, and a Solar particle event is when the amount of sufficiently high-energy protons per unit of time detected near Earth reaches a certain threshold.

Edited by Philalethes
bad grandma
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:23 AM, Philalethes said:

Yes, the density and speed of the CME are among the most important factors, but perhaps even more important is the component of their magnetic field that is aligned with the geomagnetic field, the Bz; the strongest geomagnetic activity typically occurs when there's a hit by a CME that is adequately dense and fast and the Bz is negative for a prolonged period of time.

Typically that is indeed the case, but filament eruptions tend not be associated with as much flaring, nor are they typically as strong, as they are already existing filaments above the surface that get released rather than eruptions from the lower layers of the photosphere and chromosphere. They can still definitely produce significant geomagnetic conditions under the right circumstances, though.

The most explosive eruptions launch a lot of highly energetic particles, including lots of high-energy protons, and a Solar particle event is when the amount of sufficiently high-energy protons per unit of time detected near Earth reaches a certain threshold.

@Philalethes Granny stomped on it. ( jk). Maybe @Jesterface23 has a clue?  Edit. It looks like a few precursors may have hit already. Keep watching density and personally I check the Magnetometer of Kiruna for some lead time ( not much). Presently we are slightly negative BZ.  (good). Good luck.  Mike 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Update

The first filament may have launched well off at at an odd angle and may not arrive. The second filament is still coming. Pretty much at the time I made my forecast, I was surprised at how early so many of the other forecast were for the arrival. The CMEs were very dull in coronagraph imagery, so that is certainly a factor for all forecasts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jay-B said:

What's taking it so long? It's gonna be dark here soon!

Not every flare = something to talk about, I'm afraid. Moreover, flares are just one component of activity; sometimes, filament eruptions don't produce enough x-ray energy to be "picked up" by observers. The Earthmost-facing spot was spitting little fart packets over the past few days, but I would not hold out hopes for a traditional CME arrival.

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

@Philalethes Granny stomped on it. ( jk). Maybe @Jesterface23 has a clue?  Edit. It looks like a few precursors may have hit already. Keep watching density and personally I check the Magnetometer of Kiruna for some lead time ( not much). Presently we are slightly negative BZ.  (good). Good luck.  Mike 

Not that it's a big deal, but I've noticed you're assigning expertise to other users, seemingly at-random. I trust @Jesterface23 and @Philalethes to deliver when prompted, of course, but I would shy away from propping anyone up as experts of something of which we're all equally novice and ignorant. It closes the floor, is my point.

Only based on my personal observations of their past accuracies naturally and honestly, id spaced my already known fact of their time zones.  Haha. Cme arrival times are difficult at best to predict, as you probably know.   Arrivals at Lagrange one the best we have, but there are so many other factors to consider, it’s usually a dice roll anyway. DST doesn’t seem to cut it either for me.  All personal biases I hold.  Mike.   In any event, I didn’t intend to exclude anyone,  people chime in here at will as they should, in an open forum as we have here. Mike 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Cool 1

39 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Only based on my personal observations of their past accuracies naturally and honestly, id spaced my already known fact of their time zones.  Haha. Cme arrival times are difficult at best to predict, as you probably know.   Arrivals at Lagrange one the best we have, but there are so many other factors to consider, it’s usually a dice roll anyway. DST doesn’t seem to cut it either for me.  All personal biases I hold.  Mike.   In any event, I didn’t intend to exclude anyone,  people chime in here at will as they should, in an open forum as we have here. Mike 

While I certainly agree with everything stated here, I await the alignment of these sentiments with your openness to hear all input on complex-ish situations, and not seemingly place hierarchy upon the prompts to others to give their input. Yes, they're usually on point, but playing hall monitor is really rubbing me the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Christopher Shriver said:

While I certainly agree with everything stated here, I await the alignment of these sentiments with your openness to hear all input on complex-ish situations, and not seemingly place hierarchy upon the prompts to others to give their input. Yes, they're usually on point, but playing hall monitor is really rubbing me the wrong way.

It really was a genuine attempt to be helpful.  I’m sorry you misunderstood my motives though.  Mike. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

It really was a genuine attempt to be helpful.  I’m sorry you misunderstood my motives though.  Mike. 

I'm sure I've misunderstood your motives because they are not clear. It is important to signal-boost others, I fully agree - it is the frequency with which you intervene and seemingly seek to prevent "amateur" input, while propping up the "reliable" input. This defeats the purpose of a forum. I hope you think on this tonight.

6 minutes ago, Christopher Shriver said:

I'm sure I've misunderstood your motives because they are not clear. It is important to signal-boost others, I fully agree - it is the frequency with which you intervene and seemingly seek to prevent "amateur" input, while propping up the "reliable" input. This defeats the purpose of a forum. I hope you think on this tonight.

I may, it is the first time this has come up tbh other than the fact that while we may agree on many aspects we might disagree on others. Please feel free to contact me via pm or the administrators at your discretion. Mike 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

I may, it is the first time this has come up tbh other than the fact that while we may agree on many aspects we might disagree on others. Please feel free to contact me via pm or the administrators at your discretion. Mike 

I'm probably just being a curmudgeon. Sorry. Much respect for how you conduct yourself. This to me is just small stuff and I will trust your maturity lets you see the underlying point, in spite of my unceremonious means of calling attention to it. Thank you for your conduct and wisdom, nonetheless.

• Like 1

No sweat.  We all have idiosyncrasies too. And some of those irritate others. 
My sister and I can only live together for about two weeks before we wanna kill each other!! No big deal. Mike/Hagrid