Where to find sunspot historical data?

Go to solution Solved by tniickck,

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

You navigate to the year and month you want, click the day you want, and click “sunspot regions”. 

I need a series of sunspot historical data instead of one by one, just like following link, but following link is forecast data instead of historical data.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/predicted-sunspot-number-and-radio-flux

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any suggestions

Edited by oemSpace

• Solution
5 minutes ago, oemSpace said:

I need a series of sunspot historical data instead of one by one, just like following link, but following link is forecast data instead of historical data.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/predicted-sunspot-number-and-radio-flux

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any suggestions 😆

you can find on swl — solar cycle — solar cycles history

5 minutes ago, tniickck said:

you can find on swl — solar cycle — solar cycles history

Would it be possible to download data as a text instead of an image?

Thanks everyone for any suggestions

• Like 1

50 minuten geleden, oemSpace zei:

We don’t provide download of data as you can find it on the official sources. For sunspot data, you can get those at SILSO.

1 hour ago, oemSpace said:

The sunspot number in the archive isn't an image, it's given as text.

But I understand what you're looking for, which you can find here.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Philalethes said:

The sunspot number in the archive isn't an image, it's given as text.

But I understand what you're looking for, which you can find here.

I find it, on the other hands, for Monthly mean hemispheric sunspot numbers, I would like to know on how North/South sunspot numbers affect us differently, since I live in north hemisphere.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

https://www.sidc.be/SILSO/monthlyhemisphericplot

Edited by oemSpace

8 minutes ago, oemSpace said:

I find it, on the other hands, for Monthly mean hemispheric sunspot numbers, I would like to know on how North/South sunspot numbers affect us differently, since I live in north hemisphere.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

The link I provided above has the hemispheric sunspot number data as well. The text files are all there.

Keep in mind that this is with reference to where the sunspots are located on the Solar surface, it doesn't have anything to do with Earth's hemispheres, and doesn't affect us differently based on which hemisphere we live in here on Earth.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philalethes said:

The link I provided above has the hemispheric sunspot number data as well. The text files are all there.

Keep in mind that this is with reference to where the sunspots are located on the Solar surface, it doesn't have anything to do with Earth's hemispheres, and doesn't affect us differently based on which hemisphere we live in here on Earth.

When sunspot occurs on the northern hemisphere of the Sun, would solar winds be higher likely to reach northern hemisphere of Earth instead of southern hemisphere of Earth?

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for any suggestions :)

Edited by oemSpace

8 minutes ago, oemSpace said:

When sunspot occurs on the northern hemisphere of the Sun, would solar winds be higher likely to reach northern hemisphere of Earth instead of southern hemisphere of Earth?

No, not at all, there's zero connection there. I suppose scientifically speaking we can't say it's impossible, but there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest anything like that, nor would it really be reasonable to assume that when you consider the geometry of the situation and the known mechanisms by which reconnection with the geomagnetic field occurs. Not only is Earth so small relative to the areas spanned by the outflowing Solar wind (not to mention e.g. CMEs) that any of it that reaches us will easily span the entire diameter of Earth, but due to how reconnection happens you'll get activity in both hemispheres independently of that; there is some evidence for some asymmetry between the hemispheres, but it has nothing to do with the location of sunspots on the Solar surface, and the records are somewhat lacking for the Southern Hemisphere due to the higher population in the Northern Hemisphere (~90% of all people on the planet).

Now, on the other hand, we know very well that Solar activity occurring closer to the center of the visible disc as seen from Earth does cause more activity here, but this is of course something different, and should be fairly obvious (and still doesn't affect the hemispheres here on Earth differently).

15 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

No, not at all, there's zero connection there. I suppose scientifically speaking we can't say it's impossible, but there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest anything like that, nor would it really be reasonable to assume that when you consider the geometry of the situation and the known mechanisms by which reconnection with the geomagnetic field occurs. Not only is Earth so small relative to the areas spanned by the outflowing Solar wind (not to mention e.g. CMEs) that any of it that reaches us will easily span the entire diameter of Earth, but due to how reconnection happens you'll get activity in both hemispheres independently of that; there is some evidence for some asymmetry between the hemispheres, but it has nothing to do with the location of sunspots on the Solar surface, and the records are somewhat lacking for the Southern Hemisphere due to the higher population in the Northern Hemisphere (~90% of all people on the planet).

Now, on the other hand, we know very well that Solar activity occurring closer to the center of the visible disc as seen from Earth does cause more activity here, but this is of course something different, and should be fairly obvious (and still doesn't affect the hemispheres here on Earth differently).

When sunspot occurs on the northern hemisphere of the Sun, would Earth have a higher likelihood to get north or south orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field carried by the solar wind (Bz component )?

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, oemSpace said:

When sunspot occurs on the northern hemisphere of the Sun, would Earth have a higher likelihood to get north or south orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field carried by the solar wind (Bz component )?

That's a much better question, although we're straying a bit from the topic of the thread now.

But to answer the question, there does seem to be some evidence for activity from a particular Solar hemisphere having a higher chance of being geoeffective, although it seems to vary from cycle to cycle. This is most likely connected to Hale's law, which is a recognition of the fact that typical pairs of sunspots in a given hemisphere have their polarities reversed from cycle to cycle, much like the polar magnetic field as a whole flips. This means that for a given cycle spots in one hemisphere will tend to be better aligned with the geomagnetic field, while for the next cycle that would be the case for the other hemisphere instead, and so on.

It's not entirely clear if it's solely due to that or how big the effect actually is though, but it's certainly something that's worth investigating further.

Edited by Philalethes
typo

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Philalethes said:

That's a much better question, although we're straying a bit from the topic of the thread now.

But to answer the question, there does seem to be some evidence for activity from a particular Solar hemisphere having a higher chance of being geoeffective, although it seems to vary from cycle to cycle. This is most likely connected to Hale's law, which is a recognition of the fact that typical pairs of sunspots in a given hemisphere have their polarities reversed from cycle to cycle, much like the polar magnetic field as a whole flips. This means that for a given cycle spots in one hemisphere will tend to be better aligned with the geomagnetic field, while for the next cycle that would be the case for the other hemisphere instead, and so on.

It's not entirely clear if it's solely due to that or how big the effect actually is though, but it's certainly something that's worth investigating further.

When sunspot occurs on the northern hemisphere of the Sun, Could you please confirmed on whether Earth would have a higher likelihood to get north or south orientation of the interplanetary magnetic field carried by the solar wind (Bz component )?

Any suggestions for confirmation?

Edited by oemSpace

12 hours ago, oemSpace said:

Any suggestions?

Interesting idea, however, the dynamics of the medium of the space between Earth and the Sun causes incoming energy to take the path of least resistance. The IMF gives  directionality to the energy. It is "turbulence" that therefore causes energy to arrive from a direction which is independent of topological locations. So, you need IMF and wind data. You may also need a data set with CMEs to complete your objective. Best of luck