CME and geomagnetic storms effects on mental health

Brandon
Go to solution Solved by Marcel de Bont,

Does anyone know of the effects CME have on mentality of some people? Some with mental illness seem to have bipolar or manic/psychosis symptoms during higher level CME and warnings and the natural cycles o the suns CME seem to be the cycle of some with monthly episodes, coinciding with the CME. Any thoughts? 

Edited by Sam Warfel
Not appropriate language
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

It is not proven that space weather has a direct effect on the mental health of people. If people exhibit symptoms of worsening mental health during space weather events it is probably because they are unnecessarily worrying about the effects of space weather on themselves or our technology creating emotions like anxiety, stress or worse. 

strong agree.

as someone with severe anxiety disorder and depression for ~15 years I dont notice any changes that correlate to space weather.

• Like 3

This is anecdotal so take my experience with a grain of salt, I'm diagnosed bipolar, and I I have been experiencing rapid cycling for the since the last 2 years. Even increasing or switching medications. Of course many factor could be at play here but I've recently came across these hypotheses and they seem to add up with my personal experience at least, and I wasn't even aware of the sun cycles. I think is worth discussing so please don't be so quick to dismiss as anxiety or unnecessary worrying as for my part I wasn't even aware of these phenomena until very recently 

The first post in the very helpful space weather thread titled “Heliobiology” answers every question and assumption in this conversation. Heliobiology isn’t a matter of opinion, just as archaeology isn’t a matter of opinion. You can say that it it is not proven that carbon dating is real, and you doubt the results etc…But actual scientists doing this work for the past few decades will always have more valid data than your opinion. I suggest reading (and reopening) the thread. This topic isn’t going to go away because you’re afraid to learn about it. Deciding your belief despite facts is not skepticism, it’s denial. I’d love to have a civil discussion on this space weather forum about the increasing body of research on this space weather topic, without being funneled into your tinfoil hat thread.

…Be nice, learn new things.

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 2

I've always been curious if the link has anything to do with the Schumann Resonance. I've found this website from a Russian University that tracks these frequencies and their spikes, but they only post three days worth of records currently so the data we're working with is very low. Here's a link for anyone who wants to check it out: http://sosrff.tsu.ru/ There are massive white "spikes" that occur every so often and the current on is very long. I just thought this was interesting because people are talking about the power of grounding and the SR is considered Earth's heartbeat. it's a vague connection, I know. 

Edited by Phrophetz

• Sam Warfel changed the title to CME and geomagnetic storms effects on mental health
  • Sam Warfel locked this topic

@Brandon, discussion of unproven theories is only allowed in this thread https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/2784-unproven-theories/ as per our forum rules (see here: https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/guidelines/).  Please read these guidelines and follow them in the future.
Thank you.

As to the following discussion, everyone involved should remember to follow the forum guidelines linked above, and remain respectful in your discourse.
This took place at a time when the staff team was traveling/indisposed, and not able to moderate this discussion, or more accurately, argument, as it happened.  This is unfortunate.  Remember, lack of intervention by staff does not mean the discussion is approved, sanctioned or allowed.

To those who issued reports, thank you.  In the future, please refrain from submitting multiple reports about the same person and the same thread.  In general, one report per problematic thread is sufficient and more will not get our eyes on the issue faster.  Unless it is an absolute emergency.
Behavior that was against the rules in this discussion has been addressed.

This thread is locked as a reminder that all future discussion on this topic should only take place in the unproven theories thread linked above, as specified in the forum guidelines.
Thank you.

Edited by Sam Warfel
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1