Solar Orbiter

48 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Does that mean the CME will impact with -40BZ? Or will it weaken on its way to earth? Im not familiar with Solar Orbiter. 

It will decline exponentially over time, and the Solar Orbiter is a little under half way between us and the Sun. I'd just have a guesstimation of an IMF total strength of 15nt in the flux rope once it reaches L1. ACE's solar wind velocities are around 370km/s and possibly declining at this point in a weak CH, so we should see a CME arrival.

I was wondering if I should bring this up. They did release a new low latency MAG data plot.

latest-l2-ll-field-rtn.jpg

Also for Solar Orbiters position,

https://solarorbiter.esac.esa.int/where/

(satellite not to scale)

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It will decline exponentially over time, and the Solar Orbiter is a little under half way between us and the Sun. I'd just have a guesstimation of an IMF total strength of 15nt in the flux rope once it reaches L1. ACE's solar wind velocities are around 370km/s and possibly declining at this point in a weak CH, so we should see a CME arrival.

I was wondering if I should bring this up. They did release a new low latency MAG data plot.

latest-l2-ll-field-rtn.jpg

Also for Solar Orbiters position,

https://solarorbiter.esac.esa.int/where/

(satellite not to scale)

Is that the Same Data as in the Tweet i shared? or why did you say you did not know if you should talk about it?

So what do you think could the BZ be when it arrives at earth?

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Is that the Same Data as in the Tweet i shared?

Yep.

2 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

or why did you say you did not know if you should talk about it?

It is a new source of data, but it isn't always right in front of Earth.

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

So what do you think could the BZ be when it arrives at earth?

No idea

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yep.

It is a new source of data, but it isn't always right in front of Earth.

No idea

I don’t think it could reach -40 bz. People on twitter said it will weaken because of the distance, but I still thought asking on here will bring the best answers 😎☺️

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

I don’t think it could reach -40 bz.

I'm only guessing an IMF total strength of 15nT once it reaches us. The Bz rotation could be similar to the SO or it could be completely different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I'm only guessing an IMF total strength of 15nT once it reaches us. 

4 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

I' The Bz rotation could be similar to the SO or it could be completely different.

Thank you for the "guesstimate" 🙂  

Altough im still puzzled about the Bz rotation - youre probably speaking about the way it goes from negative to positive (i.e in what order, etc) ? Yeah, it will likely change, it still has a way to go 🙂  But what i meant was the raw value of -40 BZ.

7 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But what i meant was the raw value of -40 BZ.

The absolute values of Bx ,By, and Bz can never be higher then B. The square root of (Bx^2+By^2+Bz^2) = B

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 2

Nearly 15 hours after the CME arrival we've had in total only ~3 hours of southward Bz at longest period - that's a joke and extremely different conditions from those observed by SolO ☹️  Now we've exit from second slightly prolonged period with south Bz but values near -10nT was still pathetic. Philalethes has done a pretty good job of estimating Bt/Bz values. For me, the scale of CME weakening over the distance from 0.4 to 1 AU is impressive, comparing DSCOVR and SolO data.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by AndrewB