Powerful CME

This is just wow, any chance of this CME causing issues?  and is it just me or is this CME Plasma like a good 10-20%- 40%+ as large as the sun somehow? I am sure this has to be some sort of optical illusion right?

Yr4Ax6F.png

Thanks for everyone's time

Edited by Sam Warfel
  • Cool 2

There were several limb eruptions making it extra bright. Though with it being on the the limb there is no chance for an L1 arrival. It has a nice looking eruption in solar imagery, but in no way did it result in a high end, or possibly not even a moderate CME.

And pretty much all CMEs become larger than the Sun in a relatively short amount of time

• Like 1

Limb CMEs always look the most impressive because they have the perfect high contrast backdrop. I'm no expert, but in the time I've been following space weather I've learned the three things you're looking for on CMEs are direction, amount and density of material ejected, and speed. Those three things + solar wind + BZ orientation of the IMF at time of arrival determine how much geomagnetic impact you're going to get.

The way you generally determine direction is by looking at the halo effect of a CME. When the "cloud" of ejecta appears to spread out in all directions around the sun's disk that is said to be full-halo and is a good indicator of a likely bulk-hit. (note that far-side CMEs can also appear to be full-halo while actually moving away so you have to identify the Earth-facing event that caused the CME)

Amount and density is a bit more involved. coronal dimming via various wavelength observations is one way to determine density although there are several other methods used in conjunction with one another.

Speed is a bit more straight forward but still not an exact science. By looking at how far the CME spreads out or moves away from the sun in a given time frame the speed of the CME can be estimated and thus arrival times predicted. previous CMEs and solar wind all factor into these as well. NOAA uses all this data on their solar wind prediction model seen here:

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/wsa-enlil-solar-wind-prediction

Good example of a fast, full-halo, Earth-directed CME:

Example of a far-side, full halo disappointment:

Edited by cgrant26
Better video source
  • Like 2

Why did you link “suspicious observers?” Dude is a scam artist that profits off of lies and fear.

2 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

Limb CMEs always look the most impressive because they have the perfect high contrast backdrop. I'm no expert, but in the time I've been following space weather I've learned the three things you're looking for on CMEs are direction, amount and density of material ejected, and speed. Those three things + solar wind + BZ orientation of the IMF at time of arrival determine how much geomagnetic impact you're going to get.

The way you generally determine direction is by looking at the halo effect of a CME. When the "cloud" of ejecta appears to spread out in all directions around the sun's disk that is said to be full-halo and is a good indicator of a likely bulk-hit. (note that far-side CMEs can also appear to be full-halo while actually moving away so you have to identify the Earth-facing event that caused the CME)

Amount and density is a bit more involved. coronal dimming via various wavelength observations is one way to determine density although there are several other methods used in conjunction with one another.

Speed is a bit more straight forward but still not an exact science. By looking at how far the CME spreads out or moves away from the sun in a given time frame the speed of the CME can be estimated and thus arrival times predicted. previous CMEs and solar wind all factor into these as well. NOAA uses all this data on their solar wind prediction model seen here:

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/wsa-enlil-solar-wind-prediction

Good example of a fast, full-halo, Earth-directed CME:

Example of a far-side, full halo disappointment:

• Like 2

• Sam Warfel changed the title to Powerful CME
2 hours ago, Members only said:

Why did you link “suspicious observers?” Dude is a scam artist that profits off of lies and fear.

Had no idea who the youtube poster was. Just posted the video as a good example of a far-side, full-halo CME. I'll see if I can find another example.

EDIT: Changed the video to a SolarHam video.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cgrant26 said:

Had no idea who the youtube poster was. Just posted the video as a good example of a far-side, full-halo CME. I'll see if I can find another example.

EDIT: Changed the video to a SolarHam video.

No worries, I just can’t stand that guy lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sieffre Involution said:

This is just wow, any chance of this CME causing issues?  and is it just me or is this CME Plasma like a good 10-20%- 40%+ as large as the sun somehow? I am sure this has to be some sort of optical illusion right?

Yr4Ax6F.png

I have created an account to post here after leaving abruptly, which for the record was my own choice. I respect the veteran posters here who have kept the facts at the forefront of discussions like this one. I do feel some extra information could be helpful for other readers with similar fears or misconceptions of astrophysical, cosmological, or heliophysical "weather" - which lies in the domain of "out there" while we are "in here" tucked beneath several layers of geophysical "shielding" which has persistently aided in the survival of surface-dwelling life for many an era. That same life has naturally adapted to survive a bit of radiation of most varieties that makes its way through our strongest barriers, such as gamma/neutrino events.

Review the strongest eruptions through the Archive tab on the top. We are still alive, despite some rather energetic events aimed squarely at us. The issues that arise during these events are only of real concern to spacecraft and aircraft operations. Even then, a geomagnetic or proton event does nothing any of us can sense with our five senses. Take these eruptions to be a good thing, as we are able to make useful observations of heliophysical and geophysical interactions, while enjoying the sight of the beautiful aurora.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sieffre Involution said:

Yr4Ax6F.png

Many thanks for capturing that one. It's a really gorgeous CME!

2 hours ago, Sieffre Involution said:

Lol someone didn't like my redacted title "Holy ████! Sun is angry, another SUPER Powerful CME", and further censored it lol!! - I thought redacting would add some unique flare to this CME ha. No problems 🙂 hopefully I did not upset anyone.

Well, false info would want to be avoided on here. So going overboard in that kind of way isn't too good.

2 hours ago, Members only said:

No worries, I just can’t stand that guy lol.

(The video is still hidden within an area on this page where only you can edit) heh

• Like 1