Meteors and our E layer

hamateur 1953

Most meteors are pebble-sized and burn up at around 100 km ( 60 miles) which is roughly the typical E layer height.  Hams have been using these ionised trails for reflections for as long as I can remember ( brief, to be sure!) What I didn’t realise was the sheer amount of dust we accumulate on a daily basis!  Sixty tons!!   I don’t know who measures this. But given that amount of accumulated dust, much of which is comprised of Iron/Nickel at a high ratio, it doesn’t surprise me that this may be accumulated in patches on occasion to serve as yet another source of reflection of radio waves.  I was researching components of meteors and thought this might be of general interest.  I’d link the research if sufficient interest is present.   Mike 

• Like 1

Hi @Kayla Bisson   Well what I’m currently looking into are really two distinctly different things ( I think!). Basically the occasional appearance of clouds of ionisation at about 100km in height, these refract radio signals very well at about 30 mhz or higher during our summers in the  USA.  I was amazed at the sheer tonnage of stuff every day (about 60). that our earth scoops up.  Absolutely amazing to me.  Sure we get occasional big ones too. But very rarely.  I’ve personally found one quite by accident too. I know little more than their classifications now. Sorry. Mike.