Explanation what we see here

Go to solution Solved by Philalethes,

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much, Philaletes - I was curious what those horizontal lines that rhythmically expand and contract would be. So those stem from sort of a lens flare effect?

Best,
Andreas

PS

I looked it up at eyes.nasa.gov, and of course that confirms what you figured out :)

20240303T234652.jpg

Edited by andreas.luemkemann
Added picture of Soho satellite view

25 minutes ago, andreas.luemkemann said:

Thank you very much, Philaletes - I was curious what those horizontal lines that rhythmically expand and contract would be. So those stem from sort of a lens flare effect?

Best,
Andreas

Yes, they are just a diffraction artifact from a bright point source and the optics used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, andreas.luemkemann said:

Philaletes - I tried to find the swooshi single frame object on the upper part of my first pic - is it possible that it was the Parker Solar Probe?

20240303T235452.png

No, not a chance. Even if LASCO could somehow spot it it wouldn't look like that at all. That streak of light is just an artifact. For reference, here's what LASCO imagery looks like during an SPE (Solar particle event):

1567220840290-i_screenimage_23320.jpg

As you can see there are all sorts of dots and streaks here, all due to the interactions between the streaming particles and the sensor.

• Thanks 1