NRC reports of daily 10.7 cm solar flux

https://www.spaceweather.gc.ca/forecast-prevision/solar-solaire/solarflux/sx-5-flux-en.php

For radio amateurs ( Hams) that like to watch the flux on a daily basis the above link provides it three times daily 

17:00 20:00 23:00 UTC from March until November and 

18:00 20:00 22:00 UTC from November until March.  

There are archived measurements going back a few years if you are interested in these figures as well.  
OBS or observed flux is typically used as the reported value for the day at local noon or 20:00 UTC.  This is the first column you encounter when scrolling down the screen.   More flux the better!!   73 Mike N7ORL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hamateur 1953 said:

https://www.spaceweather.gc.ca/forecast-prevision/solar-solaire/solarflux/sx-5-flux-en.php

For radio amateurs ( Hams) that like to watch the flux on a daily basis the above link provides it three times daily 

17:00 20:00 23:00 UTC from March until November and 

18:00 20:00 22:00 UTC from November until March.  

There are archived measurements going back a few years if you are interested in these figures as well.  
OBS or observed flux is typically used as the reported value for the day at local noon or 20:00 UTC.  This is the first column you encounter when scrolling down the screen.   More flux the better!!   73 Mike N7ORL 

Thank you, @hamateur 1953(N7ORL), for sharing this valuable link! The daily solar flux measurements and archived data provide a great resource for radio amateurs. Your clear explanation of the observed flux at specific times and the indication that higher values are beneficial for communication is appreciated. Wishing you excellent conditions and successful radio activities!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Thank you, @hamateur 1953(N7ORL), for sharing this valuable link! The daily solar flux measurements and archived data provide a great resource for radio amateurs. Your clear explanation of the observed flux at specific times and the indication that higher values are beneficial for communication is appreciated. Wishing you excellent conditions and successful radio activities!

Thanks! @Newbie  Although other hams may not follow it as closely as I do, it is interesting to correlate observed flux with actual operating conditions. I wish it was linear but you can’t have everything!   Mike.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well heck. Too much time had elapsed for me to successfully edit the introductory topic, but because of my recent observations of hard X rays having apparently a direct effect on our E layer that Hams use for communicating, I began to wonder about the actual chunk of bandwidth of radio frequencies that NRC monitors and publishes daily.  It is a pretty good chunk at 100 mhz!  The center of which is actually listed as F 10.7 and radio astronomy no doubt knew this, but I never thought to check bandwidth until rereading a comment by @Philalethes in an earlier post.   

18 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Well heck. Too much time had elapsed for me to successfully edit the introductory topic, but because of my recent observations of hard X rays having apparently a direct effect on our E layer that Hams use for communicating, I began to wonder about the actual chunk of bandwidth of radio frequencies that NRC monitors and publishes daily.  It is a pretty good chunk at 100 mhz!  The center of which is actually listed as F 10.7 and radio astronomy no doubt knew this, but I never thought to check bandwidth until rereading a comment by @Philalethes in an earlier post.   

Self-induction’s "in the air",
everywhere, everywhere;
waves are running to and fro,
here they are, there they go.
Try to stop 'em if you can,
you British engineering man!

—Oliver Heaviside

• Haha 2

Interesting 20:00 SFI was reported as 209 when observed SFI was actually 211 although adjusted flux was 209. Either an error or perhaps a judgement call by NRC or ?   A 380 was reported and corrected once as I recall during an x event.  Mike 

Yeah, 209, my, my, my. And I ought to be able to get on the air tomorrow. Whoo hoo.  Work is done. No thunderstorms ahead.  After a good night's sleep and some coffee it's Morse Code time.

• Cool 1

Well, day off today and I was all ready to get on the radio but wasn't expecting a storm quite this strong. Instead I'm watching this G3 (so far) storm, wishing I was in Northern Siberia for a few minutes to see the show.

We have a radio blackout in the Western Hemisphere, too. High X-ray flux.

Might be a good time to cook some food instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KW2P said:

Well, day off today and I was all ready to get on the radio but wasn't expecting a storm quite this strong. Instead I'm watching this G3 (so far) storm, wishing I was in Northern Siberia for a few minutes to see the show.

We have a radio blackout in the Western Hemisphere, too. High X-ray flux.

Might be a good time to cook some food instead.

Amen @KW2P  73. Mike N7ORL 

However.  I just decided to look at DX maps and nearly the entire United States is lit up with Es activity on six meters. ( 50 mhz) like I have never seen before.  It appears that @tniickck was correct after all.  This event is probably a combination of coincidental events as a guess. Unfortunately my grid square in CN 87 is void of activity 🤣🤣. Wow. What an event. It wiped out all of the lower frequencies we typically use and ionized the heck out of our E Layer it would appear.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:15 PM, hamateur 1953 said:

Amen @KW2P  73. Mike N7ORL 

However.  I just decided to look at DX maps and nearly the entire United States is lit up with Es activity on six meters. ( 50 mhz) like I have never seen before.  It appears that @tniickck was correct after all.  This event is probably a combination of coincidental events as a guess. Unfortunately my grid square in CN 87 is void of activity 🤣🤣. Wow. What an event. It wiped out all of the lower frequencies we typically use and ionized the heck out of our E Layer it would appear.  

And after solving my lack of 80 and 30m antennas, need to do something about six meters.

• Haha 1

I

1 hour ago, KW2P said:

And after solving my lack of 80 and 30m antennas, need to do something about six meters.

Me too   That ground plane isn’t up yet. Only a non resonant dipole!  Haha. 

• Like 1