The longest flare on record

Ester89
Go to solution Solved by Aten,

10 hours ago, tniickck said:

check out M-flare on 14 Oct 2014, about 17 hours

10 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Only SWPC didn’t agree with that 😜

IMG_4685.jpeg

Why was it not considered that way by SWPC? Looking at the x-ray flow from October 14-15, 2014 in the archive, I would have said that the flare lasted at least 12 hours

@Vancanneyt Sander @tniickck Thanks for the answers

Дорогие друзья, вас не обеспокоили странные "провалы" солнечной активности последние три дня: 27.28.29 февраля 2024 года, когда уровень падал до "A"? Я привыкла видеть всплески, поднимающиеся от условного уровня "C" и выше к "M" и "X", но такие странные повторяющиеся падения до уровня "B" и "A" наблюдаю впервые за мою личную "историю наблюдений" - то есть за последние 4 года. Что Вы думаете об этом, дорогие друзья?

38 minuten geleden, Maitreya zei:

Дорогие друзья, вас не обеспокоили странные "провалы" солнечной активности последние три дня: 27.28.29 февраля 2024 года, когда уровень падал до "A"? Я привыкла видеть всплески, поднимающиеся от условного уровня "C" и выше к "M" и "X", но такие странные повторяющиеся падения до уровня "B" и "A" наблюдаю впервые за мою личную "историю наблюдений" - то есть за последние 4 года. Что Вы думаете об этом, дорогие друзья?

Welcome Maitreya, I have approved your post but be aware we only use English in this forum. I am not going to Google Translate your question, just a reminder from now on please post in English.

1 hour ago, Maitreya said:

они не странные, просто снижение фоновой активности из-за убывания групп пятен. такое часто было в прошлом году и ранее

they are not strange, just the activity lowers due to the spots disappearing. that happened last year and earlier

4 hours ago, Aten said:

It depends on how you measure the length of a flare. I'm not sure the longest based on how SWPC measures length. If you go by amount of time above M or X levels, I think the August 16 1989 flare might be the longest. This flare saturated the the GOES x-ray sensor at X11.8 for 32 minutes and was likely an X20+ flare. X-ray levels remained above X levels for 2 hours 38 minutes and above M levels for over 13 hours. This flare might be a good candidate for the most powerful flare of the GOES era in terms of total energy released. While it almost certainly had a lower peak than the November 4 2003 flare, it had a much longer duration.

1989-08-16_000000_1989-08-16_235900.png

where did you get this graph

3 minutes ago, tniickck said:

они не странные, просто снижение фоновой активности из-за убывания групп пятен. такое часто было в прошлом году и ранее

в них нет ничего странного, просто активность снижается из-за исчезновения пятен. это происходило в прошлом году и ранее

Thank you very much, my friend! Really, this happens every year. And I thank God for you for calming me down, my friend. Flowers for you)

galaxy_flowers_1613105.jpg

• Cool 1

6 minutes ago, Aten said:

That's great to have access to, I've wondered if something like that existed before. Do you happen to know what the data source is? I see it goes back all the way to 1986, so I assume it's pulled from GOES data that has been archived somewhere else by NOAA.

20 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

That's great to have access to, I've wondered if something like that existed before. Do you happen to know what the data source is? I see it goes back all the way to 1986, so I assume it's pulled from GOES data that has been archived somewhere else by NOAA.

There is a lot of GOES data here: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/goes-space-environment-monitor/access/avg/

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Здорово иметь к ней доступ, я задавался вопросом, существовало ли что-то подобное раньше. Вы случайно не знаете, что это за источник данных? Я вижу, что она восходит к 1986 году, поэтому предполагаю, что она взята из данных GOES, которые были заархивированы где-то в другом месте NOAA.

My friend, look at this https://xras.ru/sun_flares.html?m=4&d=12&y=2023