Betreft de “WSA-Enlil - Zonnewind voorspelling”- pagina EN Betreft hemellichaam in de blauwe C-3 SOHO-beelden nu

Go to solution Solved by Philalethes,

Betreft de “WSA-Enlil - Zonnewind voorspelling”- pagina
Waarom vind ik hier stereo_B niet terug en (misschien heb ik slecht gezocht, maar) ik vind nergens een uitleg over wat de rode ruit met naam Sol0 kan zien.

Betreft blauwe C3- beelden van SOHO van de laatste dagen. Dáár beweegt zich gestaag een hemellichaam van rechts naar links in het beeld, nu ongeveer onder de zon. Graag had ik geweten over welk hemellichaam het hier gaat

• Solution
29 minutes ago, HoogEnDroog said:

Regarding the “WSA-Enlil - Solar wind forecast” page
Why can't I find stereo_B here and (maybe I searched badly, but) I can't find an explanation anywhere about what the red diamond with the name Sol0 can see.

Concerns blue C3 images of SOHO from the last few days. There a celestial body moves steadily from right to left in the image, now approximately under the sun. I would have liked to know which celestial body we are talking about here

Keep in mind that you're posting in the international board, and that posts should be in English here.

STEREO-B was lost contact with in 2014, and after brief contact again in 2016 with an unsuccessful attempt at fixing the original problem, it was abandoned completely in 2018. You can read about it here on the Wikipedia page on the STEREO mission.

SolO refers to the Solar Orbiter; as for what it can "see", it has various instruments for measuring Solar wind, energetic particles, magnetic field, and the STIX instrument for measuring X-rays, useful when looking for flares that happened on different parts of the Solar surface than what we can see directly here on Earth. On Helio4Cast you can see the path it will be taking relative to Earth over the next 100 days, and as you can see in that time it will end up on the opposite side from us, where it can see flares we wouldn't be able to see at all.

As for the body moving from right to left, that is indeed Mercury as suggested by the above post. You can also look at this graphic that was posted recently; it seems to be down right now, but I'm sure it'll come back up soon. I've also posted a text document here where you can see the dates on which planets are within 7.5° of the Solar center, which corresponds roughly to the field of view of C3. As you can see there's Mercury, but there's also Saturn, which is the slightly less conspicuous dot to the bottom left, moving from left to right, but slightly to the left relative to the stars (as expected).

• Thanks 1

51 minuten geleden, Mick zei:

It's maybe Planet Mercury?

4 minuten geleden, Philalethes zei:

Keep in mind that you're posting in the international board, and that posts should be in English here.

STEREO-B was lost contact with in 2014, and after brief contact again in 2016 with an unsuccessful attempt at fixing the original problem, it was abandoned completely in 2018. You can read about it here on the Wikipedia page on the STEREO mission.

SolO refers to the Solar Orbiter; as for what it can "see", it has various instruments for measuring Solar wind, energetic particles, magnetic field, and the STIX instrument for measuring X-rays, useful when looking for flares that happened on different parts of the Solar surface than what we can see directly here on Earth. On Helio4Cast you can see the path it will be taking relative to Earth over the next 100 days, and as you can see in that time it will end up on the opposite side from us, where it can see flares we wouldn't be able to see at all.

As for the body moving from right to left, that is indeed Mercury as suggested by the above post. You can also look at this graphic that was posted recently; it seems to be down right now, but I'm sure it'll come back up soon. I've also posted a text document here where you can see the dates on which planets are within 7.5° of the Solar center, which corresponds roughly to the field of view of C3. As you can see there's Mercury, but there's also Saturn, which is the slightly less conspicuous dot to the bottom left, moving from left to right, but slightly to the left relative to the stars (as expected).

Thank you to both, Mick ánd Philalethes! Very helpful. Sorry I was not aware that I was on the international forum. 

An other question:

Last week februari 22nd around midnight there was this very strong X6 CME. It disappeared in the CME graphics for strength, I could not visualise it either with the SOHO movietheater. What happened? Observation satellite ruined? 

1 uur terug, Mick zei:

It's maybe Planet Mercury?

image.gif.18d167a27e722c86171cd09679bb7328.gifCould it also be BEPICOLOMBO, on its way to study Mercury? 

1 hour ago, HoogEnDroog said:

Last week februari 22nd around midnight there was this very strong X6 CME. It disappeared in the CME graphics for strength, I could not visualise it either with the SOHO movietheater. What happened? Observation satellite ruined? 

X6 refers to flare intensity, it's not a parameter of a CME. In this case there was no notable CME from the flare at all, despite the high intensity. You can see the flare in e.g. the SDO imagery archive here:

20240222-223609-1024-0131.jpg

1 hour ago, HoogEnDroog said:

Could it also be BEPICOLOMBO, on its way to study Mercury? 

No, that would not be visible in the LASCO imagery at all, it's too small; it's also on the wrong side, where we'd hardly see any light reflected from it at all.

It's Mercury.

Edited by Philalethes
added image

5 uren geleden, HoogEnDroog zei:

It disappeared in the CME graphics for strength

The GOES-16 primary satellite that registers the x-rays from the Sun was eclipsed during the X6. The secondary satellite GOES-18 did register the X6. When viewing the archive, activate the secondary satellite data by clicking on “secondary” below the graph:

IMG_4684.jpeg