Coronal holes

• Sam Warfel featured this topic
  • 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Not the best time of year for auroral activity though, unless you live somewhere far south in the Southern Hemisphere.

how far south would this have to be?

im in Albany Western Australia which is the southernmost point of WA this weekend. 

4 hours ago, Prizma1227 said:

how far south would this have to be?

im in Albany Western Australia which is the southernmost point of WA this weekend. 

I doubt that's far enough south; problem with the Southern Hemisphere is how the landmass is distributed much closer to the equator overall, as you might know.

And we don't know yet if there will be any geomagnetic activity from it of course, but Earth-facing coronal holes frequently do lead to some some. Better if they're a bit bigger though.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 5:19 PM, Philalethes said:

I doubt that's far enough south; problem with the Southern Hemisphere is how the landmass is distributed much closer to the equator overall, as you might know.

And we don't know yet if there will be any geomagnetic activity from it of course, but Earth-facing coronal holes frequently do lead to some some. Better if they're a bit bigger though.

i saw someone post some images of it over the weekend so the conditions were better than i expected.

i had all my camera gear ready to go but didnt think it was going to be nice enough to catch it.

ah well.

ya live and ya learn

Edited by Prizma1227
Carmera

15 minutes ago, Prizma1227 said:

i saw someone post some images of it over the weekend so the conditions were better than i expected.

i had all my camera gear ready to go but didnt think it was going to be nice enough to catch it.

ah well.

ya live and ya learn

There's another larger coronal hole opening up and rotating in to earth view as we speak.

On 6/13/2024 at 8:30 PM, Philalethes said:

Not sure how it'll develop over the next few days, but it looks to be at a very geoeffective latitude. 

Hi we have a moderately high speed solar wind since 24 hours. CH 45 ?

chart.thumb.jpg.dd42b1ed7a2f95bc859c0076549dec07.jpg

22 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yep, this would be the Coronal Hole High Speed Stream.

Since 48 hours solar wind ! 

Polar connected CH 46 Is now partially facing earth ! And we can see "the huge filament below and the new ar 3718 on the left. 

ch46.jpg.3e29a8cb5f464960c3f46e632f46eaa7.jpg