10.02 filament CME geomagnetic storm watch

I watched C3 difference images as well and it didn't change my mind. Clearly pretty much all of the ejecta is heading south of us, if any of it impacts it will be very minor. I hope I am wrong of course getting rather sick of seeing all these CMEs go everywhere but towards us.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

I'm struggling to see a halo from this one in that imagery, but it's definitely not my forte. At least to me it seems like all of the ejecta above the disc is from the earlier larger ejection beyond the left limb.

21 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

I'm struggling to see a halo from this one in that imagery, but it's definitely not my forte. At least to me it seems like all of the ejecta above the disc is from the earlier larger ejection beyond the left limb.

Yeah, even trying to circle it in a single image isn't too easy. It's just about the below in the one frame and you should be able to see it in the GIF after,

image.thumb.jpeg.a4e08fd56e3497e800409a524170e296.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yeah, even trying to circle it in a single image isn't too easy. It's just about the below in the one frame and you should be able to see it in the GIF after,

image.thumb.jpeg.a4e08fd56e3497e800409a524170e296.jpeg

Oh yeah, now I do see that there seems to be something there. I guess I'd have to agree with Marcel that any impact would likely be minor though, judging by how weak it is in comparison; but maybe we will register something.

But can’t we likely expect another “cannibal effect” where the more recent small Earth-directed CME “snowplows” all of the dense particle content from multiple previous events in our direction, resulting in a counter-intuitively larger storm? Like back on May 2?

12 minutes ago, David Silver said:

But can’t we likely expect another “cannibal effect” where the more recent small Earth-directed CME “snowplows” all of the dense particle content from multiple previous events in our direction, resulting in a counter-intuitively larger storm? Like back on May 2?

It's not likely since we can't predict the magnetic orientation until it reaches our satellites. The only thing we can go off of is it's speed and trajectory. The first CME was much slower so our best hope is if it reaches earth moments before this CME  allowing it to disturb the IMF and clearing the way to some extent. Chances are the smaller one will impede the larger CME.