CME 2024-02-09 from AR3575 X3 flare

Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

https://www.sidc.be/cactus/out/latestCMEs.html

#     t0: onset time, earliest indication of liftoff
#    dt0: duration of liftoff (hours)
#     pa: principal angle, counterclockwise from North (degrees)
#     da: angular width (degrees), 
#      v: median velocity (km/s)
#     dv: variation (1 sigma) of velocity over the width of the CME
#   minv: lowest velocity detected within the CME
#   maxv: highest velocity detected within the CME
#  halo?: II if da>90, III if da>180, IV if da>270, indicating potential halo/partial halo CME

# CME |          t0    | dt0| pa | da |  v  |  dv | minv| maxv| halo?
  0049|2024/02/09 13:25| 04 | 217| 288| 0920| 0380| 0190| 1644|  IV

13 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

https://www.sidc.be/cactus/out/latestCMEs.html

#     t0: onset time, earliest indication of liftoff
#    dt0: duration of liftoff (hours)
#     pa: principal angle, counterclockwise from North (degrees)
#     da: angular width (degrees), 
#      v: median velocity (km/s)
#     dv: variation (1 sigma) of velocity over the width of the CME
#   minv: lowest velocity detected within the CME
#   maxv: highest velocity detected within the CME
#  halo?: II if da>90, III if da>180, IV if da>270, indicating potential halo/partial halo CME

# CME |          t0    | dt0| pa | da |  v  |  dv | minv| maxv| halo?
  0049|2024/02/09 13:25| 04 | 217| 288| 0920| 0380| 0190| 1644|  IV

so, halo ≥270? also looked at this CME on LASCO C3 earlier and it looked like a really impressive halo

6 minutes ago, Jay-B said:

What about the bullet of plasma that shot off of the eruption to the south east? It appeared to be headed somewhat in our direction?

That CME looks to have gone almost directly south. It is hard to make out from within the other CME in coronagraph imagery.

9 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

Is it earth directed 

Well, I guess I'll revise. We can't see the halo on our side of the disk because it would overlap from the far-side halo. Maybe a tiny bit is Earth-directed, we can't really see if we do have a halo on our side, but if any part is directed at Earth it likely won't arrive.

23 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

That CME looks to have gone almost directly south. It is hard to make out from within the other CME in coronagraph imagery.

Well, I guess I'll revise. We can't see the halo on our side of the disk because it would overlap from the far-side halo. Maybe a tiny bit is Earth-directed, we can't really see if we do have a halo on our side, but if any part is directed at Earth it likely won't arrive.

Im sorry but people really convinced the farside x3 relatedCME will arrive at earth?

Im confused. i thought its not earth directed.

10 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Im confused. i thought its not earth directed.

I guess technically it possibly could be, but we can't see what all is on our side of the disk in coronagraph imagery. Maybe a little bit of the CME is Earth-directed, but if it is it won't make it far from the Sun.

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

If you look at the video minyoongi posted on page 7 of the ar3575 feed it shows it pretty clearly shooting out to the left 

13 minutes ago, Jay-B said:

If you look at the video minyoongi posted on page 7 of the ar3575 feed it shows it pretty clearly shooting out to the left 

It launched maybe slightly in our direction, but it is still launched way too far southward.

Fun Fact: The Ulysses satellite's orbit passed near by the north and south poles of the Sun at about 2AU

Either way it was pretty cool to see that get throw out like that! I have never seen that happen before in the 6 months I've been paying attention lol

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

launched maybe slightly in our direction, but it is still launched way too far southward

1 minute ago, Jay-B said:

Either way it was pretty cool to see that get throw out like that! I have never seen that happen before in the 6 months I've been paying attention lol

Too bad there was a X3 CME in the way to get a good coronagraph view of it heh. I've seen it happen before in archived data.

7 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Too bad there was a X3 CME in the way to get a good coronagraph view of it heh. I've seen it happen before in archived data.

It also sucks that we don't have a satellite around Venus to see what kind of aurora it will get from that cme and also to monitor the sun from that point of view as well. Does the Parker solar probe have any picture taking capability or is it only for measuring the sun's atmosphere?

3 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

I guess technically it possibly could be

In the words of Jim carrey from dumb and dumber.... "what are the chances like one in a hundred? No, more like one in a million.  So your telling me there's a chance! Yeah!!!!" 

This was a tricky one to analyze given far side activity and no off-axis imagery to help resolve (i.e. STEREO A) .  If there were to be a glancing blow, I would have expected it today.  Alas, there was none.  Ah well, now we have bigger fish to fry in the analysis pan with the recent AR3576 M9 flare and CME!

To wrap this up, SWPC did observe a slight Earth impact, attributed possibly to this CME:

:Product: Forecast Discussion
:Issued: 2024 Feb 12 1230 UTC
# Prepared by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center
#

24 hr Summary...

Solar wind parameters indicated the arrival of a CME, possibly a
glancing blow related to the X3.3 flare on 09 Feb. Total field ranged
from 3-8 nT while the Bz component varied between 7 nT to -6 nT. Wind
speeds were generally in the 500-600 km/s range. Phi angle was
predominately negative.