Archive not showing Kp index in calendar for February 2024

Go to solution Solved by Sam Warfel,

5 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

FYI - Archive is not showing Kp index in calendar for February 2024.  Maximum daily flare value is shown, but not Kp index.  Tested in portrait horizontally rotated view for Android phone, Android tablet, and iOS phone.  

Kp is being showed in the end of the month, isn't it? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tniickck said:

Kp is being showed in the end of the month, isn't it? 

I don't know.  It could be a end-of-month batch process.

I was looking at the data noticing we haven't yet have a geomagnetic storm in 2024., and only one day (Jan 1, 2024) with active conditions.  We're overdue!

• Like 2

• Solution

Marcel and Sander are currently on a vacation, so they may not see this for a bit, but we will address it eventually if the issue persists.  This is the reason for their somewhat unusual silence on this issue 😉
Thank you for bringing it to our attention @Drax Spacex.

16 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

FYI - Archive is not showing Kp index in calendar for February 2024.  Maximum daily flare value is shown, but not Kp index.  Tested in portrait horizontally rotated view for Android phone, Android tablet, and iOS phone.  

Upon investigating the issue myself, I have come to the conclusion that this is normal expected behavior.

The archive logs both the NOAA KP, which is considered provisional, and the Potsdam KP, which is considered the “true” or “final” KP.  The NOAA KP is calculated in real time and logged into the archive daily, and can be viewed for Feb.  The Potsdam KP is loaded in monthly after the end of the month.  You can see it is there for January, and it will be added for February after the month ends.
The KP number shown on the monthly overview page, the one that looks like a calendar, only uses the Potsdam KP in displaying the daily KP.
Therefore, it will not show up until after the end of the month when the Potsdam KP for Feb is loaded in.
This is how it has worked as long as I have been paying attention, so I do not believe this is a glitch.

That being said, it is a bit odd to not see daily KPs until the end of the month.  I might wonder if it would be possible to use the NOAA KP to show a daily max KP for each day of the month as we go along, and then replace it with the Potsdam values at the end?  This does mean daily KP values or geomagnetic storm stats could change when the updated KP is added, but it might be nice to have something rather than nothing for the month as it goes along.  Something to think about.
Again, thank you for bringing this up.

Edited by Sam Warfel
  • Like 1