Sporadic E and Flare activity

hamateur 1953

Earlier this year a rather large E layer of ionisation developed following nine M class flares.   3576 appears to be very active in m class and if it keeps this up today ( Sunday Feb 4 2024) we may again see our six metre ( 50 mhz) band open again after local sunset along our southern tier states.  Maybe even 144 if there is sufficient ionisation.  I am hoping that @Drax Spacex  and @KW2P are around to see the event unfold or fizzle like SC 24.  Hahaha. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Earlier this year a rather large E layer of ionisation developed following nine M class flares.   3576 appears to be very active in m class and if it keeps this up today ( Sunday Feb 4 2024) we may again see our six metre ( 50 mhz) band open again after local sunset along our southern tier states.  Maybe even 144 if there is sufficient ionisation.  I am hoping that @Drax Spacex  and @KW2P are around to see the event unfold or fizzle like SC 24.  Hahaha. 

@hamateur 1953 Exciting that you may get another opportunity to observe the impact of sustained flaring!
The last barrage of M class flares showed a notable impact on E layer ionisation, suggesting promising conditions for HF and VHF communication.
If the current solar activity continues  enhanced opportunities for radio enthusiasts may ensue.

Fingers crossed for a lively Sunday evening on the airwaves!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Newbie said:

@hamateur 1953 Exciting that you may get another opportunity to observe the impact of sustained flaring!
The last barrage of M class flares showed a notable impact on E layer ionisation, suggesting promising conditions for HF and VHF communication.
If the current solar activity continues  enhanced opportunities for radio enthusiasts may ensue.

Fingers crossed for a lively Sunday evening on the airwaves!

Here’s hopin’. Otter likes agin doggone it!! 🤣🤣🤣Edit:  we just got whacked again.  Hahaha 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im seeing spots showing it moving west. Already some reports as far north as WV although I don’t hear anything yet. My grid square shows a contact.   Edit:   I’m at CN87vs 

I mostly am an experimenter and project builder.  It’s been a long time since I have viewed live activity on any of our bands other than being an active participant. @Drax Spacexand @KW2P are probably much more aware of the software available to us these days. The reverse beacon network was the last thing I recall.  Haha. Looong time ago….

Edited by hamateur 1953
Maidenhead sq
  • Like 1

Anyway I saw where a Colorado Ham worked New York state and three others.  Probably Texas will have a shot at North Dakota or into Canada soon if not already.  

Well the event was brief.  Too bad however 28 mhz is now open into Victoria Australia via F2 haha. Newbie needs to get herself a Ham license. Haha. 73. Mike/Hagrid   May still be active. A tx ham KV5W just worked our state of Georgia….

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

The average flux over the last 24 hours is not far from C5, currently at C4.5; not quite where it was last time, but maybe you'll still get something. Looks like it's calming down a bit now though.

• Like 2

Yeah, noticed this also on solar soft too. However I thought the event had passed, yet someone in Tx grid square EM 22 just worked illinois on 50 mhz interesting. But may have been meteor scatter which is done by a lot of us too. He didn’t list his mode.  This AR is probably the huge sucker that we have been waiting for. Shame it isn’t lower in latitude for a longer visit!  Haha.   Oh yeah a New Mexico ham evidently worked over the pole into Russia on 28 mhz too. Pretty cool. Probably a e to F2 hookup 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php?Lan=E    
I ran across this Ham site yesterday speculating on whether ionisation was sufficiently advanced to allow nighttime DX on 50 mhz from flaring that had occurred earlier.  This am the e layer is already supporting communication in several areas of our lower 48 as can be seen.  The sun isn’t even up yet here!  Haha. 73 Mike N7ORL 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. Well today was interesting. Useless AR 3590 which hasn’t done much but plaster our ionosphere with Hard and soft X radiation over the last week is still radiating halfway up the C scale!  Anyway evidently was enough earlier to support double hop Es into Jordan from Oklahoma. But dying fast now. Only a lone portable in Colorado I see frequently there is still making contacts.  Was brief but pretty exciting to watch!!!  73 Mike N7ORL  This makes me wonder if those E “ clouds” will occur at higher earth latitudes during flare events as we approach the summer solstice.  This is certainly a good part of cycle 25 to observe those sporadic events.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Reflection on refractions
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Today Saturday March 16 2024 our E layer got hit hard by a M 3.5 or so.  Having seen little activity from anywhere on 50 mhz lately, I decided to check DX maps.  Maidenhead grid square DN70 is presently alive with activity from two sources in multiple directions.  This could become interesting as our summer progresses in the Northern hemisphere.  Mike N7ORL.   Edit: I expanded the map and it looks as though six is open even to trans equatorial communications presently. Probably linkup to another cloud of ionised particles. Edit. We are also coincidentally in the middle of a low-energy solar particle event at S-1 levels.  However this doesn’t bother 50 mhz much at all except perhaps a higher noise level.  @Pom @helios@Newbie@KW2P

Edited by hamateur 1953
Probable TE link. S-1 particle event from west limb another region
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, helios said:

We had nice Trans-Equatorial Propagation on 6m this evening. But I haven't seen Sporadic-E in a looooong time.
6.jpg.25f60c320d1896eb1acb80fb64670a26.jpg

Absolutely amazing!   Frankly I doubted that the M3.5 would have effected you much, but possibly it did being as we are near the spring equinox.  Very cool.  Ours never got up to my latitude either. However our midwest looked like a spiderweb as I related to Pom in a PM.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Midwest

Posted (edited)

Well. Today we have a very similar situation, however nothing higher than Mid C levels, further confounding the present situation.  I am definitely going to puzzle about this one 😆The situation continues. Evidently the main E cloud is smack over central Nebraska. I see lots of TE today.  Not unusual at all at equinoctial times.  Hmmm. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Again today widespread Es activity and as usual NO0T/P* is having a heyday working east.  Also WQ0P who is mainly working South American Hams I think.  However today I see no significant flare activity other than possibly some residual from yesterday.   Lending more credence to the association between localization by convection of ionized particles as discussed in an article link posted by @Pomlast month.  

* the slash /P denotes he is a portable station and not at his primary residence.  

• 2 weeks later...

@helios posted a bit ago in this topic and may be interested that I observed live sporadic Es into two areas of Great Britain the other day. Wish I had noted the time, but one as far north as Scapa Flow. The other into Southern Scotland.  He was mentioning a “ pipeline” on vhf and this fills the bill for 50 mhz anyway there seems to be a strong correlation with magnetic field lines also.  All interesting stuff imo.  Mike 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Today April 22 2024 we see 227 sfi and near M level flux all day. I would be surprised if ten meters doesn’t open for nighttime activity via E layer  at dusk today.  However our F layer is really suppressed it appears still.  I’m not sure whether its an entirely seasonal thing or geomagnetic disturbance at this point.  The vandenberg and austin stations aren’t outputting data either. Anyway muf is around 20 mhz. Very low.  Good luck if any Hams are reading this.    Disregard the 20 mhz muf btw. It appears that insufficient data probably caused bad muf curves along the lower 48 in the states.  Oh yeah, something that irritates me about IOS is that  they didn’t think about us Hams and the fact that we always place a diagonal slash through our zeros to avoid confusion.  WO0O would be an eyesore.  However I accidentally discovered that when using capital letters that the theta symbol Ø makes a handy substitute probably others have discovered that when holding the O letter down other options magically appear…. Just thought Id pass it on. 73. Mike N7ORL NOT 

N7ØRL. Haha   Editing. Unless someone got some nighttime DX on 28 or 50 mhz last night my “ prediction” was as bad as any of Patricks!   😇🙄🐈‍⬛

Edited by hamateur 1953
E layer. Major failure