Satellites putting the magnetic field at risk?

Ran across this study today on SpaceWeather.com:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2312.09329

It talks about how the overabundance of space satellites we're sending up in our Ionosphere is actually affecting the planet's magnetic field... and not in the best of ways. Not tryint o cause panic, but this is actually something I've wondered for the past year. And so it's interesting to see a study come out about it.

Edited by AScaredObserver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AScaredObserver said:

It talks about how the overabundance of space satellites we're sending up in our Ionosphere is actually affecting the planet's magnetic field... and not in the best of ways. Not tryint o cause panic, but this is actually something I've wondered for the past year. And so it's interesting to see a study come out about it.

I saw the same article and I agree it is interesting to see the study details.

I must admit I just skimmed through the article it’s late for me here in Australia 1am, but thanks for sharing it.

N.

• Like 1

Just now, Newbie said:

I saw the same article and I agree it is interesting to see the study details.

I must admit I just skimmed through the article it’s late for me here in Australia 1am, but thanks for sharing it.

N.

Considering all electronic devices emit their own magnetic field, it made me wonder if all those satellites we have clogging up the atmosphere are hurting the planet's... thus feeding fears about a Magentic Excursion/Pole Shift.

• Like 1

It's a thing to consider for the future, although we are far from capable to sustain the predicted 500,000 satellites let alone 1,000,000. As of now we barely passed 8,000. Surely there would be restrictions put in place before it becomes a large issue. I'm not dismissing the concern entirely, but it will probably take a century or two before the issue could arise.

• Like 3

Interesting study indeed, research like this is needed for sure.

However I think we have far less satellites at the moment for the magnetic field to weaken significantly. Our magnetic field is believed to have a cycle of it's own so it's hard to know exactly what is what. There are some fear mongering on youtube that our magnetic field just gets weaker and weaker that uses this in their advantage to get views.

I will monitor this study cause it's very interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AScaredObserver said:

I wanna see how 500.000 satellites would be seen from earth at night. as @Parabolic mentioned, we are veeery far from this amount

• Like 3

We do have in many countries including Russia of course, the ability to communicate 24/7/365 via amateur radio.  Contacting a specific individual is most certainly a bit more difficult and depends on our sun’s behaviour unfortunately too.  Hahaha.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

We do have in many countries including Russia of course, the ability to communicate 24/7/365 via amateur radio.  Contacting a specific individual is most certainly a bit more difficult and depends on our sun’s behaviour unfortunately too.  Hahaha.  

I'd like to get into this soon.

1 hour ago, AScaredObserver said:

I'd like to get into this soon.

Ok.  Dunno where you are but our ARRL has a website with an introduction to our hobby. I think it is arrl.org but haven’t visited it in awhile. Checkitout. Britain also has one as well btw. 

2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Ok.  Dunno where you are but our ARRL has a website with an introduction to our hobby. I think it is arrl.org but haven’t visited it in awhile. Checkitout. Britain also has one as well btw. 

Just went there and now have it bookmarked. Thanks for the resource.

• Cool 1

21 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

We do also have amateur radio satellites though 😄

Sabine Hossenfelder (theoretical physicist) made a summary of the paper:

• Like 2

Good video @helios   I like Sabine and Tamitha.  I’d rather watch smart gals anyway!  Haha. Sabine has done many excellent accurate videos on you tube.  A refreshing change from much of what we might typically see indeed.  The Trump meme was hilarious also btw!! 

45 minutes ago, helios said:

We do also have amateur radio satellites though 😄

Sabine Hossenfelder (theoretical physicist) made a summary of the paper:

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Good video @helios   I like Sabine and Tamitha.  I’d rather watch smart gals anyway!  Haha. Sabine has done many excellent accurate videos on you tube.  A refreshing change from much of what we might typically see indeed.  The Trump meme was hilarious also btw!! 

Wait, she's not a doomsayer?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AScaredObserver said:

Wait, she's not a doomsayer?

Not so far.  Neither woman is as far as I am able to determine.   Incidentally Tamitha Skov is aka  Spaceweather woman.  She’s also a licensed radio amateur too.  Cool.  Has a lot of educational videos on Spaceweather and classes as well, well worth checking out her site Spaceweatherwoman.  

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:21 AM, AScaredObserver said:

Considering all electronic devices emit their own magnetic field, it made me wonder if all those satellites we have clogging up the atmosphere are hurting the planet's... thus feeding fears about a Magentic Excursion/Pole Shift.

@AScaredObserver

Concerning Satellite Proliferation:

While the vast majority of space debris remains in low Earth orbit (LEO), below the region influenced significantly by the Earth's magnetic field, there is a theoretical risk of collisions with operational satellites. Such collisions could potentially generate smaller fragments, creating a cascading effect known as the Kessler syndrome. (This also was mentioned in the video posted above).

If an increasing amount of debris were to populate the upper atmosphere, there might be concerns about its impact on atmospheric processes.
The primary concerns associated with increasing satellite numbers relate more to space debris, orbital congestion, and potential impacts on space operations rather than influencing the Earth's magnetic field.

Concerning Magnetic Excursions or Pole Shifts:

The accumulation of satellites and space debris in Earth's orbit is a concern, mainly for collision risks and orbital safety. However, these objects are not of a scale or nature to cause a magnetic excursion or pole shift. 
It is true that electromagnetic fields from electronic devices, including satellites, exist, their influence on the Earth's magnetic field is minimal compared to the natural processes occurring deep within the planet. Concerns about magnetic excursions or pole shifts are more associated with natural geological phenomena rather than man-made technologies in space. 

N.

• Like 2