AR 3571

Go to solution Solved by Jay-B,

Somehow this flare released a dark puff of ejecta almost due west, visible in SUVI 195.  It may have been reabsorbed near the edge of the southern coronal hole.

Hurray for the underdog alpha sunspot to erupt with an M flare and a Type II radio emission.

Edited by Drax Spacex
alpha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Drax Spacex said:

Somehow this flare released a dark puff of ejecta almost due west, visible in SUVI 195.  It may have been reabsorbed near the edge of the southern coronal hole.

Hurray for the underdog alpha sunspot to erupt with an M flare and a Type II radio emission.

3571 Seems to be the culprit region that had numerous prominence eruptions and the Type II radio emissions beyond the eastern limb. It was during the M 6.8 flare as well. 

40 minutes ago, Adohran said:

Someone definitely wanted to say hello to us. Sadly no rise in the protons as far as I can see.

Protons don't necessarily need to rise moments after a flare if you're referring to a CME launch. Although they did start to slowly ascend a few hours ago. Type II radio emissions are also a good indicator for a possible solar storm associated with a flare.

Edit: I wanted to clarify that I am referring to low energy protons 

Edited by Parabolic

10 hours ago, Adohran said:

Wasn't solely referring to CMEs, but after the M6.8 flare they rose pretty rapidly. 

My I ask why you're interested in proton flux? I'm only curious because I enjoy learning new aspects or mechanics of SEP's 🙂

11 hours ago, Adohran said:

Wasn't solely referring to CMEs, but after the M6.8 flare they rose pretty rapidly. 

Only the protons with the highest energy, i.e. which move the fastest, will be seen to rise rapidly after an event, and such high-energy protons are generally only emitted by the most explosive events; in the event you mention we even saw a rapid rise in ≥100 MeV protons, which is quite rare from my experience. This one doesn't really seem nearly as energetic in comparison, and in those cases you'll generally either only see protons of lower energy rise more slowly if there's a CME approaching, or not really see any noticeable increase at all.

Another point to consider is that the Parker spiral is twisted counterclockwise, and charged particles will tend to move along field lines as they move outward, so typically rapid proton rises will happen more from events from the other side of the visible disc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheebee said:

this one looks different to me, very aggressive

That was exactly my impression!  In 131 ang. it looks really irritated!
🤣🤣🤣💥 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1