C3 flare 2024-02-01 07:43UT N21E02 with CME

Drax Spacex
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

Can anyone locate this C3 flare in EUV solar disk imagery?  There's a gap in SDO imagery around the time of the flare.  I do see the C3 flare in the graph of GOES X-Ray Flux.

I am also curious why this is determined to have an Earth-directed component?  LASCO seems to show an eruption mostly northeast of Earth.  I see no halo.

:Product: Forecast Discussion
:Issued: 2024 Feb 01 1230 UTC
# Prepared by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center
#
Solar Activity.

A long duration C3 flare peaked at 01/0743 UTC. This was associated with a surge from an area of enhanced flux near N21E02 that began around 01/0640 UTC. A resulting CME was then first seen by NASA LASCO C2 coronagraph imagery at approximately 01/0748 UTC. Preliminary analysis and modeling determined this CME to have an Earth-directed component with an arrival of late on 04 Feb.

• Solution
21 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

Can anyone locate this C3 flare in EUV solar disk imagery?  There's a gap in SDO imagery around the time of the flare.  I do see the C3 flare in the graph of GOES X-Ray Flux.

This would be it. I'm guessing it is part of a post-eruptive arcade from a possible filament eruption. CME arrival times to be determined.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1984ce9ecb247cf853a1520a7815177.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

I am also curious why this is determined to have an Earth-directed component?  LASCO seems to show an eruption mostly northeast of Earth.  I see no halo.

There is a halo, the bulk is just going north and the south side is further dulled out by CH HSSs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

This would be it. I'm guessing it is part of a post-eruptive arcade from a possible filament eruption. CME arrival times to be determined.

image.thumb.jpeg.b1984ce9ecb247cf853a1520a7815177.jpeg

Yeah, that's it, I was watching it earlier not long after it happened, when I saw the long-duration C3 flare in the flux; I don't think it was a filament eruption though, it looked like it came from an area of plage, which can be seen in the magnetogram as a slightly stronger field around those parts (with a small AR developing on the left side of it).

• Like 2

There is some dimming visible on SDO images, but during the possible filament liftoff SDO was hidden behind earth.

Anyway this huge CME visible in C2/C3 is too big in my opinion to be associated with a C3 flare. 

Info from CME scoreboard: "Filamentary material is seen lifting off in GOES SUVI 304, opening field lines 

Does anyone know where can I find these images from SUVI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maciej Dunst said:

Info from CME scoreboard: "Filamentary material is seen lifting off in GOES SUVI 304, opening field lines "

Interesting claim, as I didn't see anything filamentary when I looked at 304 earlier, but maybe I just missed it.

2 hours ago, Maciej Dunst said:

Does anyone know where can I find these images from SUVI

I've wondered if there's an easily accessible source for archived SUVI data myself, since the SUVI site only shows a few hours. If not you'd have to access the GOES data directly the way it's published by NOAA, such as the GOES-18 L2 data here (which has high-dynamic range images for all the wavelengths under the category beginning with "suvi", in this case the "suvi-l2-ci304" folder); this is found under the "Data" tab on the SUVI site, which links here, where you can find all the various available data. You'd have to find some way to efficiently download the images you want though, unless you're prepared to click a lot, and from downloading and using a FITS (the format they're using, which is used a lot in astronomy, but which I'm not really that familiar with since I haven't processed astronomical images in that way) viewer it seems the images are also in black and white, so you'd have to overlay an image filter like they do on the site as well; it looks like this:

304suvi.png

Maybe there's something about the format I'm missing and that the color is available somehow, but I don't think so, since the coloring ultimately is arbitrary.

But given the steps you'd have to go through manually to actually see a sequence of images like a video, especially in color, I think it's expected that you use certain scripts and programs to download the appropriate data in bulk and visualize it. They have a little bit of documentation here for the L2 HDR imagery in question specifically, but it doesn't seem like it's that well documented. I know certain libraries, like astropy for Python, has various included means of dealing with such files, but I haven't looked enough into it to know what capabilities it provides in terms of e.g. visualization.

Unless you're prepared to dive in and deal with all of that I think you're going to either have to find a site which does have archived imagery you can watch easily, which I don't know if exists (if anyone knows, do tell), or settle for the SDO imagery (which does have a neat archive, but which as you say was eclipsed right when it happened).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Can't forget this for imagery, or just about anything else,

https://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/index.jsp

That's a pretty cool interface.  Lucky for us Mr. Wallace is a data hoarder 🤖.  Almost everything you'd want to see is centralized here.

The movie viewer for SUVI at 195 Angstroms does show the fairly significant eruption, coronal loops, and dimming to the north quite well.  It is certainly the event also seen on LASCO.  I can imagine seeing some dimming south of the flare, but not much.  Difference images might tell a different story.