CME 21/0036 geomagnetic storm watch

Isn’t this the same as the filament topic? Looks like it’s the same CME in your pictures?

I might be mistaken though. It will be hard to keep these topics apart if it’s of the same event?

12 minutes ago, arjemma said:

Isn’t this the same as the filament topic? Looks like it’s the same CME in your pictures?

I might be mistaken though. It will be hard to keep these topics apart if it’s of the same event?

image.thumb.png.e45bf661ff54e109d083ed0ed0e25985.png

i think its this one

but yes i think the first screenshot is not right

14 minutes ago, arjemma said:

There’s been another one on the 21st at 0036 UTC, notice how the impact time (1st one 22nd, this one 23rd) isn’t the same :)

Edited by chronical

Calculations for this CME has me thinking an arrival at L1 will be around the evening of the 23rd to early afternoon of the 24th. Given the chance for interactions with the filament eruption CME on the 20th, I think there may be a slight chance for G2 with an early arrival down to G1 possible with a later arrival.

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 2

spacer.png

This is what I’m talking about

By this image if you had to guess g2 or g1

I’d say g1 geomagnetic storm slight chance of g2

How’s it looking 

Just respond when you can no rush

Edited by Nathan Majors
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nathan Majors said:

If we had a g1 people would still see it at higher latitude and lower latitude less to no Effects

Welp, effects on what:

- Higher latitudes will have a better chance of seeing the aurora.

- On power grids and stuff like that, there is nothing to worry about. Even with the last extreme geomagnetic storms, the 2003 Halloween events, we made it through it.

Just now, Jesterface23 said:

Welp, effects on what:

- Higher latitudes will have a better chance of seeing the aurora.

- On power grids and stuff like that, there is nothing to worry about. Even with the last extreme geomagnetic storms, the 2003 Halloween events, we made it through it.

Ok thanks sorry about that

There were also 2 other filament snaps shortly after the big one, one was facing us in the Northern hemisphere and likely had an Earth directed component but didn't look like there was a lot of material ejected and the other was on the Western limb and probably not Earth directed but likely the 3 combined would have thrown Cactus off a bit in the NASA prediction.

Edited by cgrant26

2 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Welp, there has been no flux rope arrival from the previous CME. Not expecting much from this CME when it arrives.

ah, so yesterday wasnt really an arrival? well, overcasts happen, we dont know what happens in space. 

13 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

ah, so yesterday wasnt really an arrival? well, overcasts happen, we dont know what happens in space.

The CME from the 20th arrived, but we never ended up getting a flux rope out of it. A flux rope would of helped this CME.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1