The “Race to the Poles”

hamateur 1953
Go to solution Solved by Newbie,

I’ve heard many speak of this event or events before and definitely misunderstood its meaning.  I can find little mention of it searching around where most of us do these days.  It sounds pretty interesting from what little I have learned so far.  Any direction to good articles on the subject for a non scientist would be appreciated. Mike/Hagrid 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AScaredObserver said:

From what I did a quick Google search for... it's apparently something to do with expeditions to the geographical poles.

Am I missing something here?

Yes. It's my fault actually.  I will try to elaborate to avoid any further confusion. Btw, you had the same difficulty I encountered!  As I have understood it, when we are near Solar Maximum in any SC. The sunspot pairs  may annihilate near the equator. Thus leaving essentially an orphan which is then conveyed to its respective pole.  At least, that is my current understanding of the process.  Mike   Edit:  I was hoping to witness a cool explosion sometime. Seems like It isn’t really all that big of a deal or I’d probably have heard more about those events.   

Edited by hamateur 1953
Waiting for X classes
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Newbie said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-suns-magnetic-poles-are-vanishing/

Above is a Scientific American article below is an excerpt.

Each sunspot comes in a pair; one is magnetically positive, and the other is negative. These magnetic pairs mostly—but not entirely—dissipate as the sunspots decay away, leaving a little leftover magnetic flux of one charge or the other. This leftover magnetism is typically the opposite polarity of that of the solar hemisphere it appears on. And as material moves around the sun, these leftovers typically migrate toward the pole of that hemisphere, which usually cancels out a little of the existing magnetic field there.

The article goes on to describe its take on SC24 and hopes for the current SC.

N.

Interesting article, interesting concept, but is it fact or theory - the idea that the migrating residual magnetism of sunspots is what modulates the magnetic field at the poles?  Is it truly the prime mover of pole reversals?  Or is it just an effect, a consequence of an as-yet undiscovered prime mover cause?  Something that affects both sunspots and pole magnetism?

If "each sunspot comes in a pair; one is magnetically positive, and the other is negative" then where is the other magnetic polarity for alpha unipolar sunspot groups?  Below the surface I suspect.

• Like 2

I can trump both with R.P. Feynman or Niels Bohr.  And what are they actually doing when not under our observations. Ouch!   Sorry Drax just couldn’t resist. 

23 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

I don't know who frustrates invention with physical constraint more - Maxwell or Einstein!  True - the opposite magnetic polarity of alpha sunspots must exist somewhere, and yes it could exist as dispersed or distant flux.

The disintegration of ARs into wisps of magnetic flux flung in the direction of the poles can be readily seen in these movies:

https://gong.nso.edu/data/magmap/cr_movie.html

As an AR disintegrates, I don't see one polarity being absorbed more or less than the other in either hemisphere, though the tracking of the magnetic remnants becomes difficult over a few Carrington cycles in this qualitative graphical depiction.

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

I don't know who frustrates invention with physical constraint more - Maxwell or Einstein!  True - the opposite magnetic polarity of alpha sunspots must exist somewhere, and yes it could exist as dispersed or distant flux.

The disintegration of ARs into wisps of magnetic flux flung in the direction of the poles can be readily seen in these movies:

https://gong.nso.edu/data/magmap/cr_movie.html

As an AR disintegrates, I don't see one polarity being absorbed more or less than the other in either hemisphere, though the tracking of the magnetic remnants becomes difficult over a few Carrington cycles in this qualitative graphical depiction.

That's a really cool animation! When I turn it up really fast I think I can see one color predominate in the wisps, the one that the pole is turning into, especially towards the end of the cycle, but maybe I'm only imagining it due to expecting it to be there. At least you can see the colors at the poles themselves streaming by as they switch (in the beginning a white stream in the southern hemisphere and black stream in the the northern, switching over to the opposite over the course of SC24). Looks quite similar to the development seen in the frozen version on the HMI polar fields page (the bottom butterfly diagram), which I suppose is only to be expected.

Edited by Philalethes
typo
  • Like 2

I agree with all of you on this and I just wanted to add that you can google "solar cycle rush to the poles" to find a bunch of scientific articles about this.

A very simplified and short explanation is that in the decline of a solar cycle (after maximum) sunspots migrate from the equator and goes to the poles and then disappears from the surface of the sun. This can be seen in the butterfly diagram for example. The migration is thought to be mainly because of the underlying magnetism and differential rotation of the sun but can also be because of other factors.

Hopefully if we will be able to create a full 3D MHD (magnetohydrodynamic) model things like this might be more understood.

• Like 3