AR3440

Hey @Chris_Wicklund are you also a ham?  Just curious as 3440 topic is here.  Typically, new regions should be posted under “ Solar Activity “  Sam our moderator had to move an errant post of mine just last week. 😂😂🤣🤣73 Mike/Hagrid. 

Edited by hamateur 1953

36 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Hey @Chris_Wicklund are you also a ham?  Just curious as 3440 topic is here.  Typically, new regions should be posted under “ Solar Activity “  Sam our moderator had to move an errant post of mine just last week. 😂😂🤣🤣73 Mike/Hagrid. 

Unfortunately when creating topics it only gave me HAM TADIO and SpaceWeatherLive support. Was not allowed to pick other topics so I thought this was the way. Do you need permissions to make a topic? 

7 minutes ago, Chris_Wicklund said:

Unfortunately when creating topics it only gave me HAM TADIO and SpaceWeatherLive support. Was not allowed to pick other topics so I thought this was the way. Do you need permissions to make a topic?

No you don't, unless you have never posted something on a topic before I suppose :)

I see why you said you could only do HAM RADIO and SWL support. To start a topic in ''Solar activity'' (after clicking the Start new topic button), you need to press the arrow left of "Space Weather" which will make three options appear, one of them being "Solar activity". You'll know for next time :)

Edited by chronical
mistake
  • Like 1

Hopefully a mod or admin can move this topic, no worries.

It looks like it might be very close to 3541 so maybe we can change the title of the topic to AR 3540 and AR 3541 or something. I think it might be hard discussing them in different topics if they still are close to each other after the foreshortening has disappeared a little. 

It will be interesting to see the magnetic complexity of this region when it has moved away from the limb :)  

35 minutes ago, arjemma said:

Hopefully a mod or admin can move this topic, no worries.

It looks like it might be very close to 3541 so maybe we can change the title of the topic to AR 3540 and AR 3541 or something. I think it might be hard discussing them in different topics if they still are close to each other after the foreshortening has disappeared a little. 

It will be interesting to see the magnetic complexity of this region when it has moved away from the limb :)  

I think that at the beginning it was one region that was divided into two separate ones and the region further east is AR3540

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Miles said:

I don’t really see much decaying. There is a new spot east of the main that has a southward field that looks to make this region a beta gamma delta.

When comparing the Magntogram with the Sunspots, i dont see a Delta. The region might still be in the hell of limb distortion :) 

https://gyazo.com/3bf526b0306208385977dbbbab9778e6

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 12:01 PM, Chris_Wicklund said:
21 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

The new regions are making a significant contribution to the solar flux, today up 27 to 153.

And NRC first post at 18:00 utc is 160 sfi.  Very encouraging. We may break 200 within the next week as incoming south looking good presently 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Miles said:

I don’t really see much decaying. There is a new spot east of the main that has a southward field that looks to make this region a beta gamma delta.

Seems like it has switched since the last time I checked, that sure is good news.

The region now being visible on the disk aswell as the little other groups forming have boosted SSN to 121. Sun is getting active again 

Edited by chronical

11 hours ago, Sam Warfel said:

A cool looking structure south of these ARs. Is it erupting?

It's the tail end of a filament that seems to be firmly attached.  Looks like a thorn.  Or maybe an antenna for the 100,000 meter band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A small CME from 3440/3441 can seen in LASCO C2 at 2024/01/08 16:00, alas also south and east in trajectory, not Earth-directed.  The launch visible in SDO/AIA 193 at 2024/01/08 13:00 momentarily nudges the above-mentioned filament, but it doesn't detatch.

• Like 1

That filament tail finally detached at 2024/01/09 15:00, part of a broader eruption that started near 3441 at 2024/01/09 12:00.  A second, perhaps more significant filament, also launched along the west limb.  This combination did produce about a 90 degree wide CME visible in LASCO C2 2024/01/09 16:00.

Update: CACTus calculates the CME angular width at 132 degrees.

https://www.sidc.be/cactus/out/CME0033/CME.html

Edited by Drax Spacex
Cactus