how big can a single sunspot group be?

tniickck

i am curious about the buggest sunspot group size possible. we know that the largest recorded group was about 6000-6500 ppm of area in 1947. also we know that on smaller stars (for example red dwarfs) sunspot groups can cover really big part of surface. were there any researches of it? 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, tniickck said:

nobody even replied💀🙏

Not true @tniickck   Haha. Merry early Christmas dude!!  Btw pretty doggone big. 2500 MH not extraordinary during Solar Maximum!   Also happy to report our current sn 157 sfi 187 ss latitude average of 14.3 degrees both hemispheres well above still 13 degrees.  Great xmas prez Santa. Thanks!  Mike\ Hagrid   Incidentally, that is a staggering size!!  Was completely unaware of this interesting fact until you brought it up here.  1947 so SC 17 or possibly SC 18 I presume. I don’t have data for that year. Maybe others do here.    Humour: The sun will be off for a couple of weeks until this sunspot group passes over the limb of disappointment SRI kids.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Another interesting topic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Not true @tniickck   Haha. Merry early Christmas dude!!  Btw pretty doggone big. 2500 MH not extraordinary during Solar Maximum!   Also happy to report our current sn 157 sfi 187 ss latitude average of 14.3 degrees both hemispheres well above still 13 degrees.  Great xmas prez Santa. Thanks!  Mike\ Hagrid   Incidentally, that is a staggering size!!  Was completely unaware of this interesting fact until you brought it up here.  1947 so SC 17 or possibly SC 18 I presume. I don’t have data for that year. Maybe others do here.    Humour: The sun will be off for a couple of weeks until this sunspot group passes over the limb of disappointment SRI kids.  

Merry Christmas! i lied, it was in Feb 1946

IMG_20231223_195522_036.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

We had one over the summer that you could see with just a pair of eclipse glasses. Usually you need some magnification to make out a sunspot.

Certainly nowhere near as large as the monster tniickck posted above but it was fun going outside and looking at it.

Edited by cgrant26
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

We had one over the summer that you could see with just a pair of eclipse glasses. Usually you need some magnification to make out a sunspot.

Certainly nowhere near as large as the monster tniickck posted above but it was fun going outside and looking at it.

yep. there were two actually, 3354 and 3363

found this picture

PPHXwdgqIwc.jpg

• Cool 1

7 minutes ago, LunarLights58 said:

I wonder what a really huge sunspot would look like

like what if all of those were merged into a single one

In total, they would give about 10000 MH which might be actually possible. terribly rare ,but still

Yeah those wussy little spots pale in comparison to the earlier posts.  Haha . Edit: ya know @tniickck you seem to have a lot of talent. Spaceweather memes is overdue for some good humour. I can’t create them but no doubt you could.  Respectfully Mike /Hagrid. 

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

Just sketched sunspots some 1859 sunspots. they caused the Carrington event 18 hours later. Definitely not the biggest but the most active recorded 

spacer.png

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, LunarLights58 said:

I wonder what a really huge sunspot would look like

like what if all of those were merged into a single one

image.png?ex=659a1108&is=65879c08&hm=69a

Is a sunspot that big possible? A 10000 MH sunspot has never been recorded in history but we have only been recording sunspots daily since the 1600's because of the telescope, So imagine all the monster sunspots that we didn't get to see.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 12:17 AM, Patrick P.A. Geryl said:

This. Could become a biggy

image.jpeg

Anyone know if the longitude might correlate with the recent Mars Rover mastcam pictures?  Its due allegedly around Dec 31 2023.  Nice New years eve present if true. Haha.   edit: I think @Sapphire828 worked this out a few days back in the Mars Rover thread.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Credit and reference