Aurora in Minnesota

bugz000

hope its okay to start a thread others can "subscribe" to as i'm usually monitoring aurora in minnesota, and there's others in my area who have tried to catch aurora but can't!
P.S, aurora is currently active over minnesota ;) (12/14/2023 23:13pm) - its quite weak but it's there about 2 grids up (grid = about the width of your hand at arms length)  from horizon

Edited by bugz000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bugz000 said:

hope its okay to start a thread others can "subscribe" to as i'm usually monitoring aurora in minnesota, and there's others in my area who have tried to catch aurora but can't!
P.S, aurora is currently active over minnesota ;) (12/14/2023 23:13pm) - its quite weak but it's there about 2 grids up (grid = about the width of your hand at arms length)  from horizon

Typically we would post this under geomagnetic activity, but great to see someone seeing something south of our Canadian border!  Looks like it is anyway. Oops.  Haha  

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Typically we would post this under geomagnetic activity, but great to see someone seeing something south of our Canadian border!  Looks like it is anyway. Oops.  Haha  

that is true! however i think the main thread may be a little noisy for minnesotans as the email notifications may explode when the likes of yellowknife and iceland see something, those lucky so-so's...  meanwhile minnesota may indeed see squat :lol: 
this said it is quite suprising how many times i've seen a green haze on the horizon when dumping a random 10 second exposure to see what's out there! it appears minnesota is quite dark and i'm here for it, and happy to help others catch it too :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 1:26 PM, SpaceHam said:

What Lat are you at in MN? I'm right at 45.0. I saw the aurora this last April 24th and it was insane. I've been trying to see it ever since, but just can't get the timing down. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks.

45 also :)  its looking promising for tonight!