CME 0016

auclectic

Hi! I'm new to all of this, but hoping to gain a little more understanding. CME0016 is listed as a IV for potential full halo. Lifted off 11/15 starting at 7:48. Cactus puts the median velocity at 600 km/s but I can't seem to find any associated event or flare with this? The angles make me think this might be one of the detections off the northeast limb that everyone is talking about for incoming regions? But I'm also not entirely sure if I'm reading that correctly. Is anyone able to shed a little light into how to accurately differentiate origin points with this particular data set? I can provide the link to cactus, this forum doesn't support posting screen shots and I can't download the rest in any meaningful way on mobile. Thank you ahead for any help!! Love this forum and this site 

detectionmap.thumb.png.4711058021ccf79f3a180c0eaca1ffb6.pngspeed.png.41dfba6be5135c44ef8fa0a41119e07e.pngCME.jpeg.784736f73a29e034f47045dff3556491.jpeg

Link to cactus

https://www.sidc.be/cactus/out/latestCMEs.html

Edited by auclectic
Wrong limb

41 minutes ago, auclectic said:

Hi! I'm new to all of this, but hoping to gain a little more understanding. CME0016 is listed as a IV for potential full halo. Lifted off 11/15 starting at 7:48. Cactus puts the median velocity at 600 km/s but I can't seem to find any associated event or flare with this? The angles make me think this might be one of the detections off the northeast limb that everyone is talking about for incoming regions? But I'm also not entirely sure if I'm reading that correctly. Is anyone able to shed a little light into how to accurately differentiate origin points with this particular data set? I can provide the link to cactus, this forum doesn't support posting screen shots and I can't download the rest in any meaningful way on mobile. Thank you ahead for any help!! Love this forum and this site

Haven't looked closely into it, but did you consider the possibility of it having been a farside event?

That’s a whole lot of mass,  most I have seen in a couple years.  Hopefully we get some scraps when whatever launched that mess arrives on our side.  If the associated active region is the same, it seems to have just spit another M flare. Worth looking into probably. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Possible fun
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Haven't looked closely into it, but did you consider the possibility of it having been a farside event?

That's what I was referencing. The far side spots that are due to appear over the Northeast limb in the coming days. There seems to be a lot of hype (hopefully they maintain complexity) but I'm not sure if the hype is due to this particular event. Figured it might make sense but wasn't sure if there was a definitive way to know the point of origin

28 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

The launch can be seen in GOES solar imagery, it is from a far side eruption over the northeast limb with no Earth directed component.

https://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/index.jsp?i_1=702&l_1=18&t_1=104&w_1=610&h_1=670&s_1=2023-11-15 10:00:00.0_1_100_3_0_4

Thank you for the reply! I checked out GOES and even in the video you linked I don't see it. Maybe I just need to look at it on PC instead of my phone. I'll try that after work later