Suggestion for app additional features: Hemispheric power notification

Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

Suggestion for app additional features: Hemispheric power notification  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should we develop a hemispheric power alert?

• Yes!
    • No?

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi,

A short while ago we received a suggestion from a user, but before developing something let's see if this would be of value for a bigger audience:

When looking for aurora, my (and several others') condition is Hemispheric power North. 
A really nice notification from the App could be hemispheric power north>50, 75, 100GW.

If we would develop it, it will be by default off as we don't want an overload of messages.

Cast your votes 😉 and if you want to explain your vote, let us know in this topic.

It is a major factor, of course In the likelihood of Aurora at any given latitude.  Not like we at geomagnetic latitude 45 don’t have enough factors working against us already.  Tnx, Mike/Hagrid.  🙄

Edited by hamateur 1953

I would really like to have the "Heimespheric power" notification, because it would probably be the earliest alert of upcoming acitivity. I think it would be useful, if the notification would be divided in 3 parts - for high, mid and low latitudes, because each of them would have diffirent thresholds. For example:

High latitudes: 15 (minor), 30 (moderate), 45 (strong), 60 (severe) <75 (extreme)

Middle latitudes: 20 (minor), 40 (moderate), 60 (strong), 80 (severe) <100 (extreme)

High latitudes: 30 (minor), 60 (moderate), 90 (strong), 120 (severe) <150 (extreme)

The example above is just example, for the structure, not for real values. With that I mean - it would be great to keep SWPC classification for acitivity levels (minor, moderate, strong, severe, extreme) and apply them for each latitude type differently, because for example 65 GW, for high latitudes is already clear signal for intense acitivity, but in low latitudes it is just minor signal.

P.S. I'm apologizing for my bad English. :)

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That would be 3 separate alerts, bit overkill if you ask me (but that's my opinion).

No, no, I mean - when selecting to enable the alert (as you mentioned, that intially they would be turned off by default), the the user could select category in which the user is in. For example the value 50 for high latitudes would be already indication of strong activity, but for low latitudes it is just too low value, so in my opinion it would be great to select in which category you are and then recive for that category specified alerts.

I attached photo with little table I just made for visualization purposes. For example - 75 GW threshold is reached. Users who are selected and are located in high latitudes will recive notification of "Strong" activity, but users that are selected middle latitudes - of "Moderate" activity and for users in low latitude - "Minor" activity.

I think it will be more precise in case if minor or moderate storming is happening, so that the high or middle latitudes get notification, but for those who are in low latitudes the notification is not necessary.

P.S. It is only my opinion, I'm apologizing if I did not get the overall idea well.
HP.thumb.png.d33def019cc2d1b126a43790bd306b5f.png

1 uur terug, MeteoLatvia zei:

it would be great to select in which category you are and then recive for that category specified alerts.

I understand, but programmatically I can only have one alert with a few thresholds. Not one alert with 3 subcategories and for each subcategory different thresholds. 
So it's only possible to select a few options for the HP alert where they choose a certain GW (currently 50, 75, 100, 125)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

I understand, but programmatically I can only have one alert with a few thresholds. Not one alert with 3 subcategories and for each subcategory different thresholds. 
So it's only possible to select a few options for the HP alert where they choose a certain GW (currently 50, 75, 100)

Thank you for explanation. :) Now I understand. I'm sorry if I created a mess in this discussion.

22 minuten geleden, MeteoLatvia zei:

Thank you for explanation. :) Now I understand. I'm sorry if I created a mess in this discussion.

No problem 😉 

After 10 votes it's clear we have to develop the Hemispheric Power alert and in fact it's already running in the background to test this in the forthcoming weeks. We'll need a few good storms to see if our code does what it should so we can squash any bugs before going live with it. 

• Like 3

Hi, I have suggested this feature. Thanks for posting it here. And thanks a lot for working on adding it!!

I realize the the power level is an issue - as it will depend on your latitude.

"So it's only possible to select a few options for the HP alert where they choose a certain GW (currently 50, 75, 100, 125)"

Sounds like an excellent addition.

Thanks again for adding this feature!

• Like 1

That's a perfect thing to track not just for predictions of pending activity but to help understand weather patterns. Historical trending or adjustable time span when viewing would make it very useful.

Edited by M42Sparks
Spelling and content