Halloween 2003 solar storms

hamateur 1953
Go to solution Solved by Marcel de Bont,

The 2003 storm was the first time I saw the aurora.  Totally random and unexpected (I lived in a place you’d never expect to see them).  Years later chasing the aurora has become a serious hobby of mine, probably at least in part due to this storm.  Hard to believe it’s been 20 years.  Let’s hope for next year indeed!  Or better yet, maybe next week!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NEAurora said:

The 2003 storm was the first time I saw the aurora.  Totally random and unexpected (I lived in a place you’d never expect to see them).  Years later chasing the aurora has become a serious hobby of mine, probably at least in part due to this storm.  Hard to believe it’s been 20 years.  Let’s hope for next year indeed!  Or better yet, maybe next week!

Cool that ya got lucky!!  It seems every time I drive over the pass to get away from the lights in Seattle area the BZ swings north!!   Haha   Good luck to us both in the next three or four years! The sun has more in store for us down the road, no doubt 👍

Op 27/10/2023 om 22:05, Marcel de Bont zei:

Oh thanks for posting our video. It totally slipped my mind it's the 20th anniversary of the Halloween Solar Storms! No chance of a repeat this Halloween.. let's hope for next year! 🙃

With that hole though, maybe some suprises will leak through just to disprove the concept.

I have tried numerous people familiar with classical music to help me identify the dramatic musical passage about halfway through the video.  When 486 really cuts loose.  Great dramatic selection, but was it the New York philharmonic orchestra??  I love it but am clueless as to its origin. Edit:  Not super important but was hoping @Marcel de Bont or @Vancanneyt Sander would remember. 🙂Edit:  must’ve missed something, anyway the selection begins at exactly 7:30 if anyone else happens to recognize the dramatic piece.  Tnx. 

Edited by hamateur 1953

4 uren geleden, hamateur 1953 zei:

I have tried numerous people familiar with classical music to help me identify the dramatic musical passage about halfway through the video.  When 486 really cuts loose.  Great dramatic selection, but was it the New York philharmonic orchestra??  I love it but am clueless as to its origin. Edit:  Not super important but was hoping @Marcel de Bont or @Vancanneyt Sander would remember. 🙂

All of the music is listed in the credits, one of the following songs is the one you are looking for:

Two Steps From Hell - United We Stand - Devided We Fall
E.S. Posthumus - Nara
Sensation White Love
Immediate Music - Electric Romeo
Two Steps From Hell - Invincible
Lindsey Stirling - Elements
Stefano Mocini - The end of doubs
Scott Tobin - The Green Zone

6 uren geleden, MissNeona zei:

With that hole though, maybe some suprises will leak through just to disprove the concept.

While the current coronal hole is impressive, there is not even a sliver of a chance that the resulting geomagnetic activity will even come close to the Halloween Solar Storms of 2003.

• Like 2

Thanks Marcel! Gee never thought to check the credits!  Shame we can’t get much above a kp five with an CH, without something to push our way at least!  Anyway full moon too.  Story of my life. Everything needs to line up ideally. 

Edited by hamateur 1953