LASCO Activity

MissNeona

Impressive activity on LASCO but it doesn't seem to make impressions on EPAM or the solar activity chart?

Is it farside action?

I still like saying the sun started operating on different frequencies, since it seems like discrepancies are happening more often based on what it looks like.

Observation bias is such a tricksy thing. 

• Like 3

I find it interesting to note the differences between old LASCO imagery where the background seems darker, and recent where there seems to be lots of flare/streamers/enlightening, but the ray range seems to be more intense then. 

I still have a weird feeling that maybe consistent influx of energies might throw off the readings/acclimatize the sensors. 

Is there a regular factory reset that happens to check for that potential? Like how cameras do white balances?

It would be funny if thats where some of the differentiation in data stems from.

But many of my theories are still in progress to be seen, time will tell!

Edited by MissNeona

IMG_5788.jpeg.5768e70bd4928114ce849c4ccdc34c5b.jpeg

This was a fairly decent blast as well.

Old 3451 and 3452 which disappeared behind the west limb on the same day 12 October, 8 degrees apart are due to return in next couple of days. Hopefully breaking the drought before we go spotless.

N.

• Like 3

In the last 15 hours there have been 3 notable filament snaps all along the edge of the solar disk. One North of the Western limb, one near the Southern pole and another near the North East. All of them combined to produce that impressive looking full halo effect on LASCO but not sure if any of them were actually full halo. I'm not even sure if we can call them far side as they looked to be right on the parameter. (well, maybe the NE one was a bit on the back side)

Pretty neat to see it on the SDO movie in AIA 304 Red. Go take a look. https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/aiahmi/

Edited by cgrant26
  • Cool 1

3 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

In the last 15 hours there have been 3 notable filament snaps all along the edge of the solar disk. One North of the Western limb, one near the Southern pole and another near the North East. All of them combined to produce that impressive looking full halo effect on LASCO but not sure if any of them were actually full halo. I'm not even sure if we can call them far side as they looked to be right on the parameter. (well, maybe the NE one was a bit on the back side)

Pretty neat to see it on the SDO movie in AIA 304 Red. Go take a look. https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/aiahmi/

Yep saw that featured on SolarHam too. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cgrant26 said:

Thanks for summing that together.

Im just a bit confused, are you *sure* those were filament snaps? One of my favorite spaceweather-people on twitter said nobody knows that it was. for the NE and Southern event i think its 100% clear theyre filaments though..? 

8 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Thanks for summing that together.

Im just a bit confused, are you *sure* those were filament snaps? One of my favorite spaceweather-people on twitter said nobody knows that it was. for the NE and Southern event i think its 100% clear theyre filaments though..? 

The 2 most pronounced ones on LASCO that went back to back definitely looked like filament snaps to me. The One from the NW (preceding the other 2) might be from a flare and there was also another release from that same area after the 2 bigger filaments but it ended up looking a lot less impressive on LASCO than it did on the SDO movie. Guessing that one was a filament that dropped most of it's material back down upon realignment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Newbie said:

IMG_5788.jpeg.5768e70bd4928114ce849c4ccdc34c5b.jpeg

This was a fairly decent blast as well.

Old 3451 and 3452 which disappeared behind the west limb on the same day 12 October, 8 degrees apart are due to return in next couple of days. Hopefully breaking the drought before we go spotless.

N.

Spotless!!!?? Bite your tongue!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Spotless!!!?? Bite your tongue!! 🤣🤣🤣

Pretty sure if the theme is correct, the sun works on opposite day rules, so whatber is said it tends to have a bounce back. 

Or just like neutrinos and muons, snarky quarky boogies do what they want. 

We just observe and use data to make further predictions, but, those also could have some faulty aspects to them.

I have some feelings we are going to see major shifts soon.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 1:34 PM, MissNeona said:

Pretty sure if the theme is correct, the sun works on opposite day rules, so whatber is said it tends to have a bounce back. 

Or just like neutrinos and muons, snarky quarky boogies do what they want. 

We just observe and use data to make further predictions, but, those also could have some faulty aspects to them.

I have some feelings we are going to see major shifts soon.

Snarky Quarky!  I love it!! Excellent!! 🤣🤣🤣