AR 3460

hamateur 1953
Go to solution Solved by mozy,

This southern AR announced itself by kicking out that M1.79 and a non earth-directed CME practically immediately when it arrived. It appears  to be growing rapidly and bears watching.  One C.6 and two lower ones. I see what might be a tiny delta in the leading neg spot, however will defer to others better at the delta spotting than myself for now. 

• Like 1

Interesting, although there has been some reduction in size of the two leading negatives. There appears to be significant polarity intermixing among the positive spots. Which also appear to have strengthened in intensity.  Definitely a BG although quiet at present.   Edit. We need it to wait until it can do us some good anyway,  I’m patient 🤣🤣

Edited by hamateur 1953

3460 thanks

1 hour ago, tniickck said:

b-g-d for sure

you for your support and may continue to develop. 😊 And dealt out a 3.7 to say thanks!   I just looked at SDO 131 feed and I think I also see interaction with little 3457. Tomorrow will be interesting if this keeps up. 😎

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

It seems to be separating in general, but still has significant polarity complications. The delta if there is one anymore sure isn’t doing much at all. 
Today’s the day 3460.  Lets get with that CME before you head out of our “ zone” of influence. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

It seems to be separating in general, but still has significant polarity complications. The delta if there is one anymore sure isn’t doing much at all. 
Today’s the day 3460.  Lets get with that CME before you head out of our “ zone” of influence. 

…So SolarSoft reports a C9.7 flare coming from this AR and now has updated its report saying it was in fact from 3451. 
Very confusing!

N.

Edited by Newbie
?
  • Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.bcc7139c80d530501da81bc664750ef7.jpeg

Why?? Glad you asked!   Not only did it taunt us with expectations of development etc.  It had the gall to get a C 9.7 attributed to itself!   This flare was the property of 3451 which has left the scene for now, and may return with a vengeance.  Time will tell….   Edit, this is a psychological trick known as reverse psychology.  If effective 3460 should respond with an X flare and associated CME within 24 hours of this post…

Edited by hamateur 1953
Clarification of intent.
  • Haha 1

https://www.lmsal.com/solarsoft/latest_events/   There are several ways that this may be done.  My preferred method these days is to use the “ x marks the spot” where essentially x diffraction lines are produced at 131 angstroms ( the bluish photos) on the larger M and X flares.  This is more difficult along the edges or limb as we call it here. Then when I have the region identified It is usually a simple matter to correlate it to the swpc number designation.  Lmsal ( solar soft) also posts flares with regions fairly rapidly.  I’ll post a link shortly for you.  Welcome aboard! Mike/Hagrid. 

10 hours ago, majakaiye said:

Please, can someone guide me on how to identify the region of a solar flare occurrence? 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Added solar soft link at top
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, majakaiye said:

Please, can someone guide me on how to identify the region of a solar flare occurrence? 

As hamateur says above, you're typically looking to see the flare visually on some ultraviolet imaging instrument. The link they posted detects such occurrences automatically and tries to match it with an appropriate region, but you can also look yourself on e.g. SUVI (or SDO, although the data there isn't as live), and you will typically see it light up in some way, especially in the teal imagery (corresponding to a wavelength of 131 Å); like they mention, for M-class flares and stronger you will also typically see diffraction spikes at the point of flaring, making it even more apparent. After you see where the flaring is coming from you can check against some image showing the different active regions to know which one is the source, such as the one on the home page here on SWL. Sometimes it won't be completely clear though, with flaring occurring between regions that are close nearby, or sometimes even from regions that haven't been designated yet, and so on, but usually it's fairly simple to identify.

• Like 2