Interesting four hour class

hamateur 1953
Go to solution Solved by David Silver,

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, David Silver said:

This is fantastic, thanks. Are you saying that in 1972 you were somewhere that the aurora was visible? I saw the 1989 event in Massachusetts.

9 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Yes, I was sleeping outside on a grass lawn with my wife to be.  19 yrs of age when her sister ran outside and informed us that King 5 news was alerting Seattle area to the possibility of aurora.  Quite a display along the Northern skies was evident!!

im so tired when reading this i thought you said 1872 and that hamateur was replying with some witty sarcasm.. so i reacted with two haha emojis... yeh i see my error, ive amended them to cool sunglasses emojis :)
i freakin LOVE these youtoob educational vids, i really appreciate and am thankful for them as it goes

youtube can be a veritable wealth of knowledge if you look in the right places

• Cool 1

Hey. You aren’t the only individual to err on dates!  Personally I had always thought the Carrington event was in 1856!  Whether from a misprint I had read earlier or undiagnosed dyslexia I will never know. 1859 on the rising edge of SC 10 it was indeed as @3gMike showed me awhile back. Funny about that!  🤣Tamitha  Skov is really excellent and especially careful in her presentations.  She has done a lot of work to produce these classes and I hope many others benefit as I have from them! 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

Presumably your time machine brought you forward to the present day to witness this cycle.  Well done!  😎. Yup. I really did see the sucker. Fortunately my wife to be and self were in a tiny town called Olalla Washington. Thus somewhat away from the Seattle glow at the time.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Cool 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Earlier I mentioned us being hit by the flank of this CME.  Today I revisited this class to locate it.  Tamitha begins at about one hour in discussing it in more detail.   Edit: a couple more interesting facts:  The Magnetic signature of a passing ship or Crochet as Tamitha uses an analogy, was really what was responsible for the detonation of those underwater magnetic mines.  Fascinating, and a very unusual coincidence.  Also it appears there were three separate events. Although the GFZ potsdam only shows two that I am able to locate.  The largest was around 220.   @tniickck and @Philalethes Both expressed interest in this subject. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
Added stuff
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Earlier I mentioned us being hit by the flank of this CME.  Today I revisited this class to locate it.  Tamitha begins at about one hour in discussing it in more detail.   Edit: a couple more interesting facts:  The Magnetic signature of a passing ship or Crochet as Tamitha uses an analogy, was really what was responsible for the detonation of those underwater magnetic mines.  Fascinating, and a very unusual coincidence.  Also it appears there were three separate events. Although the GFZ potsdam only shows two that I am able to locate.  The largest was around 220.   @tniickck and @Philalethes Both expressed interest in this subject. 

I think I've come across those types of magnetic "crochet" signatures in something I've read previously, but I can't remember exactly where. It's an interesting point, i.e. that it wasn't just the sheer magnitude that was responsible, but more how it ended up hitting us.

Also, while we were hit by the flank, I'm assuming it was still significantly more into the body of the CME than whatever might hit us now, if anything at all; at least the spot in 1972 was positioned further from the limb, and on the right limb for fast CMEs to be deflected towards us too.

As for how many events, this is what I see from the text file I have of the Kp-index dating back for those days:

𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟶𝟶.𝟶 𝟶𝟷.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟶𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟻.𝟼𝟼𝟽   𝟼𝟽 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟶𝟹.𝟶 𝟶𝟺.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟷𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟾.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟸𝟹𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟶𝟼.𝟶 𝟶𝟽.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟹𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟶𝟶𝟶  𝟷𝟹𝟸 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟶𝟿.𝟶 𝟷𝟶.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟺𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟺.𝟶𝟶𝟶   𝟸𝟽 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟷𝟸.𝟶 𝟷𝟹.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟻𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟻.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟻𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟷𝟻.𝟶 𝟷𝟼.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟼𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟺.𝟶𝟶𝟶   𝟸𝟽 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟷𝟾.𝟶 𝟷𝟿.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟾𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟼.𝟼𝟼𝟽  𝟷𝟷𝟷 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟺 𝟸𝟷.𝟶 𝟸𝟸.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟼.𝟿𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟿.𝟶𝟶𝟶  𝟺𝟶𝟶 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟶𝟶.𝟶 𝟶𝟷.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟶𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟾.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟸𝟹𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟶𝟹.𝟶 𝟶𝟺.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟷𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟾.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟸𝟹𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟶𝟼.𝟶 𝟶𝟽.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟹𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟶𝟶𝟶  𝟷𝟹𝟸 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟶𝟿.𝟶 𝟷𝟶.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟺𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟷𝟻𝟺 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟷𝟸.𝟶 𝟷𝟹.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟻𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟼𝟼𝟽  𝟷𝟽𝟿 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟷𝟻.𝟶 𝟷𝟼.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟼𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟾.𝟼𝟼𝟽  𝟹𝟶𝟶 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟷𝟾.𝟶 𝟷𝟿.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟾𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟷𝟻𝟺 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟻 𝟸𝟷.𝟶 𝟸𝟸.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟽.𝟿𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟻.𝟼𝟼𝟽   𝟼𝟽 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟶𝟶.𝟶 𝟶𝟷.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟶𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟷𝟻𝟺 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟶𝟹.𝟶 𝟶𝟺.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟷𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟶𝟶𝟶  𝟷𝟹𝟸 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟶𝟼.𝟶 𝟶𝟽.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟹𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟽.𝟶𝟶𝟶  𝟷𝟹𝟸 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟶𝟿.𝟶 𝟷𝟶.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟺𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟻.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟻𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟷𝟸.𝟶 𝟷𝟹.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟻𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟺.𝟼𝟼𝟽   𝟹𝟿 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟷𝟻.𝟶 𝟷𝟼.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟼𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟻.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟻𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟷𝟾.𝟶 𝟷𝟿.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟾𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟼.𝟼𝟼𝟽  𝟷𝟷𝟷 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟼 𝟸𝟷.𝟶 𝟸𝟸.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟸𝟾.𝟿𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟹.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟷𝟾 𝟷

Second column from the right is the Kp-index (bold are values of 5 and above, my emphasis).

To me it looks more like two during those days, at least if you consider the very last two instances part of the long string before it, but maybe you could make a case for it being three; at least the first increase seems to have a more noticeable break after it. Just a few days later there seems to have been another event, not sure if that's related or potentially included:

𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟶𝟶.𝟶 𝟶𝟷.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟶𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟺.𝟼𝟼𝟽   𝟹𝟿 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟶𝟹.𝟶 𝟶𝟺.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟷𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟼.𝟼𝟼𝟽  𝟷𝟷𝟷 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟶𝟼.𝟶 𝟶𝟽.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟹𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟼.𝟼𝟼𝟽  𝟷𝟷𝟷 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟶𝟿.𝟶 𝟷𝟶.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟺𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟾.𝟹𝟹𝟹  𝟸𝟹𝟼 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟷𝟸.𝟶 𝟷𝟹.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟻𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟺.𝟶𝟶𝟶   𝟸𝟽 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟷𝟻.𝟶 𝟷𝟼.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟼𝟸𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟼𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟺.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟹𝟸 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟷𝟾.𝟶 𝟷𝟿.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟾𝟷𝟸𝟻𝟶  𝟹.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟷𝟾 𝟷
𝟷𝟿𝟽𝟸 𝟶𝟾 𝟶𝟿 𝟸𝟷.𝟶 𝟸𝟸.𝟻𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟾𝟽𝟻𝟶𝟶 𝟷𝟺𝟾𝟹𝟷.𝟿𝟹𝟽𝟻𝟶  𝟹.𝟹𝟹𝟹   𝟷𝟾 𝟷

• Like 1

Thank you for that @Philalethes you seem to have ready access to cool data always. Much appreciated!  Mike. 

4 hours ago, Philalethes said:

I think I've come across those types of magnetic "crochet" signatures in something I've read previously, but I can't remember exactly where. It's an interesting point, i.e. that it wasn't just the sheer magnitude that was responsible, but more how it ended up hitting us.

Also, while we were hit by the flank, I'm assuming it was still significantly more into the body of the CME than whatever might hit us now, if anything at all; at least the spot in 1972 was positioned further from the limb, and on the right limb for fast CMEs to be deflected towards us too.

As for how many events, this is what I see from the text file I have of the Kp-index dating back for those days:

Second column from the right is the Kp-index (bold are values of 5 and above, my emphasis).

To me it looks more like two during those days, at least if you consider the very last two instances part of the long string before it, but maybe you could make a case for it being three; at least the first increase seems to have a more noticeable break after it. Just a few days later there seems to have been another event, not sure if that's related or potentially included:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I posted this topic and link awhile ago because it was a very interesting subject to me personally, however Tamitha Skov is an excellent teacher and this informal four hour class contains a wealth of pertinent Geomagnetic information that she presents in an easily understood format. Most here know this stuff pretty well but I certainly learned a few things.    She is also a Ham btw. 😎Mike 

• Like 2