What is this object transiting C2's FOV?

cgrant26

I was looking at a LASCO C2 video and saw something transiting across it's FOV moving much faster than the surrounding stars. Thought maybe it was Mercury or Venus but there's nothing listed on Sungrazer for known transits right now. Anyone know what this is?

https://sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil/transits_2023

(the skip is due to missing frames from the Lasco C2 feed)

spacer.png

Maybe the stationary dots are artifacts and not stars?

Edited by cgrant26

1 hour ago, cgrant26 said:

I was looking at a LASCO C2 video and saw something transiting across it's FOV moving much faster than the surrounding stars. Thought maybe it was Mercury or Venus but there's nothing listed on Sungrazer for known transits right now. Anyone know what this is?

https://sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil/transits_2023

(the skip is due to missing frames from the Lasco C2 feed)

spacer.png

Maybe the stationary dots are artifacts and not stars?

It's definitely not a planet, there are no appulses near today. Most of the pixels you see in the image are artifacts, but you can make out some that are stars and are moving at the same speed (in reality it is of course Earth which is moving, and thus making it appear like Sol is moving across the stars), so it's definitely a star. You can also see the star in question on C3, where the movement across the stars is even more apparent.

Judging from sky maps (hopefully correctly this time, given that the moving lights there are in fact stars and that the vantage point is indeed from Earth), it appears to be the star Zavijava (Beta Virginis).

• Like 1

I think you're right as the motion seems to echo what I can see in C3 and now there is another dot that came into frame moving the same speed as the one I was asking about. It's confusing because there are like 5 or 6 dots of varying brightness that look like they should be stars but they don't move. I'll just assume those are visual artifacts.

Thanks

Edited by cgrant26

55 minutes ago, cgrant26 said:

I think you're right as the motion seems to echo what I can see in C3 and now there is another dot that came into frame moving the same speed as the one I was asking about. It's confusing because there are like 5 or 6 dots of varying brightness that look like they should be stars but they don't move. I'll just assume those are visual artifacts.

Thanks

Yep, and there's also one you can make out in the gif you posted, here:

imageedit-1-4963631305.gif