AR 3423

hamateur 1953
Go to solution Solved by Newbie,

Well, I didn’t see that this guy had a thread yet. It has dealt out three C class and is looking like it may still be building into an M class guy. It seems to have consolidated in the last two days at least.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
Todays change
  • Like 1

• Solution
2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Well, I didn’t see that this guy had a thread yet. It has dealt out three C class and is looking like it may still be building into an M class guy. It seems to have consolidated in the last two days at least.  

EKC is a good configuration for flares 20% chance of M 5% chance of X

N.

• Like 1

I won’t wager ya on this as that wouldn’t be appropriate here. But it has a couple more days until it gets to the west.  Personally, I don’t think you will be disappointed in receiving a nice auroral display to photograph.  My money is on this guy to deliver us a decent CME. 🤣🤣🤣 Regards Mikey/Hagrid 

I won’t wager ya on this as that wouldn’t be appropriate here. But it has a couple more days until it gets to the west.  Personally, I don’t think you will be disappointed in receiving a nice auroral display to photograph.  My money is on this guy to deliver us a decent CME. 🤣🤣🤣 Regards Mikey/Hagrid 

It is the only AR that currently looks like it has any potential, and SWPC have given it a good rating. If this one doesn't deliver the goods then we will be kept waiting a bit longer. The latest photospheric map still suggests that the negative fields are relatively weak in all longitudes.

• Like 1

Yes. I checked Jan Alvestads site (STAR) Afterwards to see what he thought too.  Gave it a decent chance. 
There is a lot of surface area for a delta to target was my thinking basically. And certainly in a nice equatorial position to nail us.  I’m usually pessimistic, but these are decent odds.  edit: still in a growth phase evidently, judging from the increase posted.  Up to 420 mils today.  Fingers crossed.   🤣

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

Yup,  @Philalethes  I would have to agree looking at what is available to us.  It also appears that 3425 is beginning to resemble a scorpion in 131 ang. and seems to be pointing its claws at 3423. 

6 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Doesn't look eruptive to me.

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

It also appears that 3425 is beginning to resemble a scorpion in 131 ang. and seems to be pointing its claws at 3423.

Ah, yes, divination using resemblance to animal figures, undoubtedly one of the most secure methods for forecasting activity levels.

• Haha 1

3423 is definitely underwhelming us today.   Its fluxulator is probably in need of repairs.  Perhaps a reorganization on the backside will do the trick.  Time will tell. 

Don't worry, I'm sure it will come alive again at the limb. 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tniickck said:

nice long M1 flare, must be very eruptive, but the position is not really good

Well, it doesn't have to be, but looks like there was an eruption around the beginning of it. Visible on LASCO now too, hard to say if it might have any component headed our way or not.

36 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Well, it doesn't have to be, but looks like there was an eruption around the beginning of it. Visible on LASCO now too, hard to say if it might have any component headed our way or not.

Funny, the C2 doesn’t look super promising, but I’d say there’s a pretty clear full halo (however faint) on C3, though for sure the bulk looks to be the northeast.  Looks not super fast either, then again I’m not a great judge of speed.

37 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

Funny, the C2 doesn’t look super promising, but I’d say there’s a pretty clear full halo (however faint) on C3, though for sure the bulk looks to be the northeast.  Looks not super fast either, then again I’m not a great judge of speed.

Yeah, I can make out the appearance of a halo on C3. It's hard to say for sure what the speed is without knowing the exact direction, but going by the time from it becoming visible on C3 to its furthest extent I'd estimate around 600-700 km/s.

• Like 3

If this was the one @tniickck looks like ya nailed it first.   Jan Alvestad seems to agree.  Interestingly for some reason ( simultaneous flaring?) lmsal ( solar soft) attributes it to 3429.  
hmmmm curiouser and curiouser!! 

On 9/12/2023 at 1:45 AM, tniickck said:

there is something that looks like a full halo CME

• Like 1