AR 13387

cgrant26

Just now, D1SCORDANT said:

If I zoom in on sdo it looks like 2 flares can someone check?

I think one flare is the M-flare from this region (3387), which never fully died down, and the other (the X-flare just now) is from 3386 beyond the limb, not sure if it's causing any sympathetic flaring here or not.

• Like 4

Zojuist, Philalethes zei:

I think one flare is the M-flare from this region (3387), which never fully died down, and the other (the X-flare just now) is from 3386 beyond the limb, not sure if it's causing any sympathetic flaring here or not.

Aah I figured was weird looking at sdo but that explains 

17 minutes ago, tniickck said:

i dont really get where is it from, 3386 beyond the limb or 3387

Looks like it’s from 3387 to me. Could be some sympathetic flaring from 3386 behind the limb.

Edit: After SDO updated, it looks to be mostly from 3386.

Edited by Calder
Correction after seeing updated imagery.

2 minutes ago, Ester89 said:

Certainly both regions seem to be on fire. Can it happen that 2 regions raise the flow together?

Yep, the X-ray flux measures total flux, so if e.g. there are two M1-flares simultaneously, then it would register as closer to M2. However, when there's an X-flare going on it will typically dominate the M-flare in terms of flux; as we've talked about before you can think of the X1.5 just now as an M15, so theoretically if the 3387 M-flare was still roughly M1, then this flare would essentially be around X1.4, with the two adding up to X1.5.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

yes! There are even papers about this topic. i will search them for you tomorrow if you'd like :) 

It seems clear that the flare came from 3386, but it will be interesting to watch those articles and learn about it. Thank you so much!

2 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

Yep, the X-ray flux measures total flux, so if e.g. there are two M1-flares simultaneously, then it would register as closer to M2. However, when there's an X-flare going on it will typically dominate the M-flare in terms of flux; as we've talked about before you can think of the X1.5 just now as an M15, so theoretically if the 3387 M-flare was still roughly M1, then this flare would essentially be around X1.4, with the two adding up to X1.5.

Excellent explanation, as always. Thank you 😊

10 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

You’re certainly right about this. After seeing SDO update, it’s clear it was mostly 3386.