AR 13359

cgrant26

21 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Do we have our first CME from this region towards earth? @Philalethes 

Thinking about the CME originating around 04:00-05:00 on the coronagrams? It does look pretty wide, but I have a hard time seeing where it originates; maybe I'm just blind, or maybe it's from the far side. Solar Demon does detect some dimming around this AR at that point though, and it would correspond well to the direction of it. If it is from this region I'd say there's a chance of an Earth-directed component given that the angle of the eruption is around 180°, but it's hard to say for sure.

20 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

cgrant pointed out the filament south of the region. It might be possible that it rose and finally released

Definitely a possibility, just didn't spot it when glancing at the imagery. Looking at it again now I do see something happening there in 304 Å, but can't say it looks exactly like a filament erupting/releasing. I could be wrong, maybe someone else can tell what's going on there.

2 hours ago, Philalethes said:

Thinking about the CME originating around 04:00-05:00 on the coronagrams? It does look pretty wide, but I have a hard time seeing where it originates; maybe I'm just blind, or maybe it's from the far side. Solar Demon does detect some dimming around this AR at that point though, and it would correspond well to the direction of it. If it is from this region I'd say there's a chance of an Earth-directed component given that the angle of the eruption is around 180°, but it's hard to say for sure.

Found this analysis from SIDC...

"Solar coronal dimming was observed today, on July 04, starting at around 02:12 UTC and ending around 04:09 UTC. The coronal dimming was located close to the Sunspot region NOAA AR 3359. A partial halo coronal mass ejection (CME), associated to the dimming, was first observed in SOHO/LASCO-C2 at around 04:12 UTC on July 04. The CME is directed to the south-east and the bulk of the CME is not expected to be Earth directed. However, a glancing blow at Earth is possible. Analysis is ongoing to estimate the potential impact of the CME and its arrival time."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tniickck said:

just saw a message from NOAA that a G1 storm is predicted on Jul 7, looks like this was this CME

Interesting. Looking at the image in their notice here it seems like we're more in the line of fire according to them than I would have expected.