AR 13335 & AR 13336

Philalethes

Looks like a bit of action going on here. Almost M-flare just now (C9.75), and what seems like some eruptivity. Some development since it came into view too; something to keep an eye on in these relatively quiet times.

Edited by Philalethes
edited title to include both ARs, since they're so close and seem to be interacting

This C9.75 flare appears to span both AR3335 and AR3336 (or even south of it).  Difficult to assign the flare to one or the other.  As we saw with the flare from the plage region of the old AR3327, the connection points may not correspond to visible sunspots.  Something beneath we aren't seeing in the available image wavelength perhaps.

https://ibb.co/0hrL3rC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpaceWeather5464 said:

If it fully develops it might produce some M and X flares.

Hope springs eternal.

53 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

This C9.75 flare appears to span both AR3335 and AR3336 (or even south of it).  Difficult to assign the flare to one or the other.  As we saw with the flare from the plage region of the old AR3327, the connection points may not correspond to visible sunspots.  Something beneath we aren't seeing in the available image wavelength perhaps.

Very good point; I didn't look too closely at it when I made the thread, but it does indeed seem to be closer to 3336, and without any clear indication of where its feet are. Maybe we'll get a better look if there's more activity, can always rename the thread if it turns out to primarily be from/around 3336.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

Looking at the most recent synoptic map it seems that these  two share common fields, so might we expect some interaction?

synoptic-map_ARs_3335_3336.thumb.jpg.54eb293cf5a5ecdde7441b63faca5371.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Looking at the most recent synoptic map it seems that these  two share common fields, so might we expect some interaction?

True.  They also are contained within the same larger contiguous plage area, sharing the same beachfront property if you will, with many pores contained therein that may provide potential connection points between the regions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Looking at the “green screen” incoming also.  Both hemispheres are looking very active. 

I don't think I know what that refers to; care to elaborate? Referring to the aurorae perhaps? But yeah, this storm isn't bad so far.

The “ green screen “ Far side activity was the display of the incoming regions Under solar activity upper and lower hemispheres. At least as it is displayed on my relatively tiny screen here.  And yes, it may very well be a lawn in the sky for some observations   For anyone else reading this, the Stereo display gives us typically about a three day “ heads up” or perhaps a clue as to what is to come, or even where magnetic loops might originate from.  Cool stuff.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
typographical
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hamateur 1953 said:

The “ green screen “ I was referring to is the display of the incoming regions

upper and lower hemispheres. At least as it is displayed on my relatively tiny screen here.  

Ah, the farside view on the front page? Sorry if I'm still misunderstanding you, maybe my brain is just scrambled, but that's the best green screen I could think of. In any case I see you meant Solar activity rather than the storm; and yeah, it does look like there's a fair amount of activity in both hemispheres now, and I think we might be headed for a marked increase in activity soon too, I bet this upcoming period from fall to spring will be good for aurora hunters.

Edit:

I see you edited to clarify it now, glad to see I understood what you meant. Heh, the great lawn in the sky!

• Like 1

• Philalethes changed the title to AR 13335 & AR 13336
28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

M Flare from one of those Regions i think, Looks eruptive but im not sure how much of it is earth directed etc. opinions? @mozy @Philalethes @Jesterface23 

to me in suvi it looks east/south but im not the best at interpreting imagery.

stereo a shows no CME as of now i think

It did look eruptive, and I agree about the direction. The latest STEREO imagery now shows the eruption emerging, easy to see in the last frames of the movie they have for download here (2 MB).

Screenshot-53.png

Hard to say what the chances of something Earth-directed are before LASCO imagery, but there could be some component.

Solar Demon shows some dimming too, but not that much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Philalethes said:

It did look eruptive, and I agree about the direction. The latest STEREO imagery now shows the eruption emerging, easy to see in the last frames of the movie they have for download here (2 MB).

Screenshot-53.png

Hard to say what the chances of something Earth-directed are before LASCO imagery, but there could be some component.

Solar Demon shows some dimming too, but not that much.