Stereo Ahead Cor2 8-6-23 7:38 UTV

Ferdie

2 hours ago, Ferdie said:

This image is weird, not seen something before. Two images later are gone, first image afterwards is also strange in my opinion.

Someone also seen this or have explanation?

i cant upload, no Space, sorry. So not attached 

https://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/browse/2023/06/08/ahead/cor2/2048/

20230608_073854_d7c2A.jpg

20230608_082354_d7c2A.jpg

Will agree that’s strange. (Also strange the STEREO mission page looks like a relic of the early internet, but less forgiving to navigate). I’m pretty confident it’s not tie fighters, but I also don’t have the data to rule it out. Could it be meteor/space junk? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'lines'. The bright ... spot is most interesting, I'd say. Is there any other instrument on STEREO ahead facing that direction?

STEREO A (Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory A) is a NASA spacecraft launched in 2006 to study the Sun and its effects on space weather. It is one of a pair of spacecraft, along with STEREO B, that provided stereoscopic imaging and monitoring of solar activities. However communications with STEREO B were lost on Oct 1 2014 after the failure of a hard reset.

The primary instrument on board STEREO A is the Sun Earth Connection Coronal and Heliospheric Investigation (SECCHI). SECCHI consists of five individual telescopes or camera systems, each with its specific purpose:

Extreme Ultraviolet Imager (EUVI): EUVI captures images of the Sun's atmosphere in extreme ultraviolet light. It observes the solar corona and helps scientists study solar flares, coronal mass ejections (CMEs), and other dynamic solar phenomena.

Heliospheric Imager (HI): HI consists of two identical telescopes, HI-1 and HI-2. These telescopes observe the space surrounding the Sun, known as the heliosphere, and provide stereoscopic images of CMEs as they propagate through space.

Sun Earth Connection Coronal and Heliospheric Investigation-Narrow Angle (SECCHI-Narrow Angle): This instrument captures high-resolution images of the Sun's corona, including the innermost region near the solar surface. It helps in studying the fine details of the corona and CMEs.

Sun Earth Connection Coronal and Heliospheric Investigation-Coronagraph (SECCHI-COR): SECCHI-COR uses a specialized occulting disk to block the bright light from the Sun's surface and observe the faint corona. It provides a broader field of view compared to SECCHI-Narrow Angle.

Sun Earth Connection Coronal and Heliospheric Investigation-Heliospheric Imager (SECCHI-HI): This instrument is similar to the HI telescopes but provides a wider field of view. It helps in tracking CMEs as they move away from the Sun and reach the vicinity of Earth.

These instruments on STEREO A work together to provide a comprehensive view of the Sun, its corona, and the heliosphere, enabling scientists to better understand solar activity and its impact on space weather.

N.

• Like 1