Too many ads,

Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

4 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Minifying the ad should do the trick. But it has to be done at each page load 😕 . It’s a hard one to fix unless I can move the forum notifications balloons to another place 🤔

Yeah, it would be a lot of minifying. I guess it depends if it is JS or CSS. Need to see one of the notifications to come up again to take a look at it

@Vancanneyt Sander

Looks to be in https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/uploads/css_built_2/341e4a57816af3ba440d891ca87450ff_framework.css

This should work where ever it is put,

@media (min-width:767px){
    #elFlashMessage.ipsFlashMsg_bottom{
        bottom:110px !important;
    }
}
@media (max-width:766px) and (min-width:467px){
        bottom:80px !important;
    }
}
@media (max-width:466px){
        bottom:70px !important;
    }
}

On 5/31/2023 at 6:11 PM, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Push notifications is pay per device, and we grow each month so each month it gets more expensive. So it doesn’t matter if you disable some categories of notifications.

People that installing the app get the option to wether or not they want to receive push notifications, it’s not turned on by default.

Ok, but tapping the arrow minimises the ad so that it’s reachable.

I am finding the cookies banner is covered by the ad - this screenshot is after I have tapped the arrow

Screenshot - 2023-08-09T211653.112.png

The cookies info should be fixable with this,

#elGuestTerms{
        padding:15px 0 105px 0 !important;
    }
}
    #elGuestTerms{
        padding:15px 0 75px 0 !important;
    }
}
    #elGuestTerms{
        padding:15px 0 65px 0 !important;
    }
}

Or everything together,

#elGuestTerms{
        padding:15px 0 105px 0 !important;
    }
        bottom:110px !important;
    }

}
    #elGuestTerms{
        padding:15px 0 75px 0 !important;
    }
        bottom:80px !important;
    }

}
    #elGuestTerms{
        padding:15px 0 65px 0 !important;
    }
        bottom:70px !important;
    }

}

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@Marcel de Bont I just wanted to mention that, if you feel like server/bandwidth costs are increasing, you may ask the question if you are paying too much. I run a lot of websites on the cloud, and I maintain hundreds of servers on the cloud, so I am familiar with how providers can bill, and also how bills can sometimes increase related to usage. Imagine this, what if significantly increased usage did NOT result in increased server costs. That is something you should consider, in case there is real pressure on your end. I'm not offering anything, but I do suggest being careful about who you are paying for servers, because some companies will crush you.

Another thought... This is not a revenue generating site right, I mean thats not it's sole purpose. Most providers would like you to be, because in that case you may not mind paying expensive server bills because you are making a lot of money. If you are not making a lot of money on this site, you may consider not trying to put it on providers who expect you to pay more as you scale.

Another thing you can do to, if you think you need a CDN, you can actually make one. I've done that before to deal with terabytes of bandwidth. Sometimes I had bandwidth at tens of gigabytes per second. Would have cost thousands a month, but maybe I paid like $50-100 max. Small things you can do to reduce costs. Perhaps then, ads would have a larger impact on operating costs. I personally despise ads and don't see them as a way to maintain anything, but I know I am a minority because most people don't mind them. I must use adblock, on ALL sites, as I don't agree with the method of ads. I have not seen a single ad, and I must say, the site looks very very nice without any, and you have done amazing work.

So ask this, can you scale up while maintaining a fast and high performance website, and not have to pay linearly as you scale? Yes, I would try.

Edited by SpaceWhiskey

2 uren geleden, SpaceWhiskey zei:

you may ask the question if you are paying too much.

We always done our price comparisons before getting contracts and always chose the best price/performance/user friendly product. We don’t want something cheap with poor performance or bad UI. 

the full screen ads are now disabled 👍

• Like 3