The carriptong event was not just a cme?

Isatsuki San
Go to solution Solved by Philalethes,

I was seeing an article that talked about the event that said that before the cariptong event There was another cme that took time to arrive in 40 or 60 hours and that since August 28 an unusual number of sunspots were seen, for which a flash of white light was detected on September 1 That it took only ten hours to reach the earth 

Edited by Isatsuki San
so that it was understood
  • Confused 1

Every CME is produced by a distinct phenomenon of some kind, which usually take unique shape. A large CME is produced by eruptive interactions of highly-charged particles, which could be: filament lifting off, sudden re-configuration of a spot's magnetic environment, or both at the same time.

I am over-simplifying it, but in general, every big CME is associated with a flare or filament eruption/movement. I do not see the point in reading new takes on an old event which clearly did not provide enough real information to you, since you're asking here(I think you've asked about this twice before?)

Christopher,

Please take another look. carrinton events involve complex additive perturbations.

coronal holes plus filaments/flares....

2 or more simultaneous events, allowing the 2nd/3rd event to progress faster perhaps superceding a prior event.

carrington could have just been a training module, enabling us to safeguard our furure

should we be open to such possibilities.

do you disagree?

respectfully

It appears that you talk about the well known and researched Carrington Event. Please be so kind and spell check what you write. Furthermore it would have been of more help, had you linked the articles you mention here. That way, the community would have been able to check the article for its scientific content, which please excuse me being so blunt, does not seem to be of the scientific kind. "a flash of white light" is by no means a scientific description of something being able to lift a CME off our sun.

EDIT: I shouldn't write any posts when I'm completely beside myself and in brain freeze with a bad cold. I apologise for what I wrote here. I have corrected it now.

Edited by Sunshine
Correction of embarrassing, illness induced orthography

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

Christopher,

Please take another look. carrinton events involve complex additive perturbations.

coronal holes plus filaments/flares....

2 or more simultaneous events, allowing the 2nd/3rd event to progress faster perhaps superceding a prior event.

carrington could have just been a training module, enabling us to safeguard our furure

should we be open to such possibilities.

do you disagree?

respectfully

I do not understand what is being discussed here, in particular. As Sunshine points out, there is not much to go off of, so I took a stab at acknowledging the multitude of events which occur around the time of a more notable event. So, while it is useful to study these events, we must ask more pointed and pertinent questions. There is no call to action at this time in regards to what is being discussed, until your concerns or Itastuki are elaborated.

• Solution
8 hours ago, Isatsuki San said:

I was seeing an article that talked about the event that said that before the cariptong event There was another cme that took time to arrive in 40 or 60 hours and that since August 28 an unusual number of sunspots were seen, for which a flash of white light was detected on September 1 That it took only ten hours to reach the earth 

On the Wikipedia article there is mention of an aurora event on August 29, which would mean there would have been activity beforehand. This paper goes into the topic in a lot more detail, and in the abstract we can read:

The great geomagnetic storm of August 28 through September 3, 1859 is, arguably, the greatest and most famous space weather event in the last two hundred years. For the first time observations showed that the sun and aurora were connected and that auroras generated strong ionospheric currents. A significant portion of the world’s 200,000 km of telegraph lines were adversely affected, many of which were unusable for 8 h or more which had a real economic impact. In addition to published scientific measurements, newspapers, ship logs, and other records of that era provide an untapped wealth of first hand observations giving time and location along with reports of the auroral forms and colors. At its height, the aurora was described as a blood or deep crimson red that was so bright that one “could read a newspaper by.” At its peak, the Type A red aurora lasted for several hours and was observed to reach extremely low geomagnetic latitudes on August 28–29 (~25°) and on September 2–3 (~18°). Auroral forms of all types and colors were observed below 50° latitude for ~24 h on August 28–29 and ~42 h on September 2–3. From a large database of ground-based observations the extent of the aurora in corrected geomagnetic coordinates is presented over the duration of the storm event.

This very clearly seems to indicate that there was indeed very significant geomagnetic activity already a few days before the main event.

However, the estimates for how long it took for the main CME to reach Earth after Carrington observed the flare was according to the original Carrington paper  17.6 hours, not 10 hours; there's needless to say a huge difference between these two.

So to answer the question in the title: yes, the Carrington event was "just" a CME, albeit a very large one, and one that was preceded by previous activity which likely helped "clear the way" for it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Parece que hablas del conocido e investigado Evento Carrington. Por favor, sea tan amable y revise la ortografía de lo que escribe. Además, hubiera sido de más ayuda si hubiera vinculado los artículos que menciona aquí. De esa manera, la comunidad habría podido verificar el contenido científico del artículo, lo cual, por favor, discúlpeme por ser tan directo, no parece ser del tipo científico. "un destello de luz blanca" no es de ninguna manera una descripción científica de algo capaz de dar vida a una CME de nuestro sol.

The problem with the articles is my Spanish language 

18 hours ago, Christopher S. said:

I do not understand what is being discussed here, in particular. As Sunshine points out, there is not much to go off of, so I took a stab at acknowledging the multitude of events which occur around the time of a more notable event. So, while it is useful to study these events, we must ask more pointed and pertinent questions. There is no call to action at this time in regards to what is being discussed, until your concerns or Itastuki are elaborated.

I wanted to make a discussion a bit and I left this article in oblivion why did I forget I have an insomnia problem and I fall asleep to wake up forgetting everything I did before, how did this topic I'm sorry